How to put an additon on my mobile home

Old 04-11-14, 01:13 AM
I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damsel in distress... Please help...need to put an additon on my mobile home

So... my husband and I have decided to wait a few years to get our first morgage and build a house.
In the meantime I would like to like my current home a bit more than I do.

We live in a 1980's 16x76 3 bedroom 2 bath trailer (mobile home) whatever you wish to call it.

We have a few minor upgrades planned for this spring. Mostly just cosmetic stuff in the kitchen and bathrooms, as we re-painted and did flooring as last years projects HOWEVER...

We are newlyweds and sometime soo we will will need to make room for a crib!

Currently we have a slapped together "porch/bootroom" that is a 8x8 box that leaks teriibly in the spring after the snow melts. (was built before we lived there)

It isnt terrible but I want to rip it off and build out and to the end of the trailer. But im not going to pay a contracter copious amounts of money... like i said this is temporary. I would like to build it (14x24), finish it inside... and have it as a boot room/ multipurpose /office. Voila...my current office can house a baby AND i dont have to lose my spare room.

BESIDES permits ect... what the heck do I do?
I dont want to dig an pour a solid cement foundation... like I said I am looking at easy and cheap but not have it blow off in the wind.

(Bear with my lack of correct terminology) Heres what I was thinking...
pretty much buliding a deck...
-Dig the holes (below the frostline, gravel the bottom so it weeps properly, put the big cardboard tube in, fill it with cement,
and the bolt thing so that once it cures i have something to attach the metal bracket things to that will hold the wood frame.
Then frame the floor like you would a deck accept use plywood instead of deck boards on top. Frame the walls and roof and ply wood that... flash it up to the house so it doesnt leak... Insulate it, drywall it, paint it and floor it. This will only sit apx 2 feet off the ground... a foot lower than the trailer fits so the roof slopes properly...

My dad is a master deck builder... and he has framed basements and rooms and everything you can imagine for YEARS. (and a close friend is actually a carpenter. (Doesnt actually work as one but is one) Every house my parents have build my dad has finnished the basement himself. (He can also do the electrical but for legal purposes..we have an electrician friend that will be doing it for us)

Am I way off on how we can pull this off? or am i on the right track?
HELP PLEASE.
I want simple and not terribly costly.

Last edited by imaginaryDIYer; 04-11-14 at 01:46 AM.
Old 04-11-14, 04:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Your basics are spot on. Roof slope will be your only problem. It must shed water and must stand your snow load. Hopefully your dad can give some on site advice, since we can't see what you see.

Old 04-11-14, 05:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
Sounds like a plan I'm a painter but I've built additions on a half dozen or so MHs, in fact the house I live in has a MH inside it. As Larry stated one of the biggest issues is the roof. You can either have the addition a step or two down [to gain head room] or build a roof over both the MH and the addition. You can cheat a little with the framing size on decks but a room has a lot more load so joists sizes will need to be larger [per span] than with a deck.

There is usually someone on the forums that can advise you with whatever stage of the build you are at.

Old 04-12-14, 12:21 AM
I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Thanks guys!
As per my user name im great at all sorts of stuff (icluding major rennovations) in my head. Usually it Pans out.

I figured the roof slope would be my main concern. The fact that our trailer floor is about 3 feet off the ground i think it wont be too hard to just drop the addition a bit so it is a step or 2 up into the house itself.

I wanted to make sure i was on the right track as far as the whole, digging holes and cementing it as opposed to doing a whole foundation (Since my house doesnt even have a full cement foundation) I didnt want to screw myself over and not have it supported properly but i also dont want to excavate and pay a ton for cement.

If seasoned men think I'm on the right track, thats good news.

Old 04-12-14, 02:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't want to put a damper on your plan, but something you should consider:

If you build the addition on footings below the frost-line, but the rest of your trailer is free to move up and down as the ground heaves when it freezes, you can expect to have problems trying to keep things from getting out of whack. Particularly at the roof junction, as it could well be a constant source of leaks as one side remains fixed while the other (your trailer) is free to seasonally move up and down. Vertical variations as much as 3" would not be uncommon.

I'd build the addition on similar supports to what the trailer is sitting on.

BTW, congrats on the new addition!

Old 04-12-14, 06:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
BridgeMan makes a good point! All the MHs I've worked on have been in the south where frost heave isn't much of an issue. Locally some jurisdictions require a footer under the MH piers. I have no idea what the standard is that far north

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: