Rest deck posts on pool concrete slab

Old 04-12-14, 08:27 AM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rest deck posts on pool concrete slab

I have a customer that wants to take down his tiny deck and replace with a larger deck across back of house. He lives in city and his entire backyard is a I ground pool with concrete surrounding it. My question is, how can I rest my two 6x6 posts. I was thinking on a deck block right on the concrete. I know it's not to code if the deck is attached to house but I have never came across this.

Attached Images  
Old 04-12-14, 12:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Deck supports must be on footings, not on 4" concrete slabs. The concrete would need to be cut and the ground dug to below the frost line, then sonotube placed with concrete inside it. Simpson post bases would be placed above grade to hold the 6x6's. This transfers all the weight to the ground. Setting the posts on the patio will cause it to crack in short order.

Old 04-12-14, 05:13 PM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This guy doesn't care about code, he is wondering if we placed a 4" thick by 18" square cottage slab under deck block if that would help . The deck is small only coming 8' out by 14 long. He doesn't want to get into cutting his concrete open

Old 04-12-14, 05:17 PM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
YOU can do whatever you desire but I would tell the customer that I wouldn't do it under any circumstances that were not code compliant. The liability is just too great.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: