Strengthing patio roof for attaching swing

Old 04-13-14, 12:56 PM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strengthing patio roof for attaching swing

Glad to see a forum like this exists. I read a few posts on this forum which seemed to indicate that the 1X6s used in the patio ceiling cannot be used to hold a swing. Looking at it, it does make sense.

In this photo of the house under construction, I'm planning on attaching a swing perpendicular to the house (parallel to the 1X6s running across). I'm quite sure that I cannot attach swing directly to the 1X6, but am not sure if I should just lay a 2X6 parallel to the 1X6 and attach it to the house and run bolts for the swing?

What do you recommend?

Attached Images  
Old 04-13-14, 02:27 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not seeing any 1X's any place in that picture.
Looks like 2 X 6 rafters with 2 X 6 joist, and no hangers which are only made to support the ceiling.
Why would you not be asking the builder to add the needed support?

Old 04-13-14, 03:11 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,461 Posts
Those look like engineered roof trusses. Technically you should not drill into the bottom members and screw in nice long eye bolts though that would be the easiest. Do you have access up into the roof area above the porch?

Old 04-13-14, 03:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,573 Likes on 1,411 Posts
What's the length from the interior wall to the exterior wall? If your swing will have a single attachment point on each end, like an eyebolt lag or similar, I would probably install a double 2x6 header in a double joist hanger (LUS26-2) where it attaches to the ledger (on the left) and then have the header just sit on top of the top plate (on the right) Position the header directly over where you want the swing. But yeah, I wouldn't hang it from the bottom chord of the truss.

Old 04-13-14, 05:51 PM
G
Yes asking the builder is an option, but not too sure if they would "Deviate" from their plans. I am going to try asking them.

(They are a tract builder and not custom)

Old 04-13-14, 06:40 PM
G
Xsleeper, thanks for the idea.
its 6'4" from house exterior to the patio outermost edge (from blueprint). the actual distance from ledger to the topplate should be less than that I think.
Will a 2x6 attached to a joist hanger with a 6' length be able to hold a swing and couple of adults?

I'll check with the builder but even if not this looks like something I can do - even though I'd rather not have to cut through the ceiling later on to access this currently accessible area.

Old 04-13-14, 07:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,573 Likes on 1,411 Posts
Two 2x6's, not one. Your attachment point will be near the load bearing points, not in the middle of the span, so it will be plenty strong. You should be more worried about your lag pulling out than the strength of a double 2x6 in a hanger.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: