Restore vs. Deckover

Old 04-14-14, 09:50 AM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restore vs. Deckover

Im going to be applying one of these products this Spring. Im interested to know if anyone has experience with either.

I've seen better reviews for Deckover than I have Restore.

Thanks.

Old 04-14-14, 11:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 697 Likes on 615 Posts
We have a few members that have used those type coatings with mixed reviews, hopefully they'll chime in later.

IMO [as pro painter] those type coatings are best left on the shelf. While I've never used them, any coating that goes on that thick over a wood deck is going to result in a lot of extra prep work when the coating fails. Once moisture gets under the coating - it will fail! I would highly recommend using a solid stain instead.

Old 04-14-14, 12:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Here's my comment on the latest round regarding Restore: "

I have stated in another thread that I used it on my deck and covered front porch last fall. As a disclaimer, my deck was 15 years old. I thought it was dry enough for the coating, and I blame excessive moisture for its failure, not the product itself. You will need to wait until all the moisture is gone from the pt before you paint it, and that could be up to 6 months. I would opt for a solid stain if I had it to do again. Good luck, and follow the directions. "

Old 04-14-14, 01:30 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 697 Likes on 615 Posts
The problem is keeping the wood dry. It can absorb moisture from the sides and even below BUT sooner or later the coating will crack allowing moisture a way in

Old 04-14-14, 06:25 PM
Received 620 Likes on 553 Posts
At our storte we sell Restore. At our product fair recently we saw a demo of it. I wouldn't use or recommend it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: