Four-Season Porch Floor - best way to access insulation?

Old 04-24-14, 08:21 PM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Four-Season Porch Floor - best way to access insulation?

Hi all,

I have an elevated four-season porch / sunroom. During the winter it lets in a crazy amount of cold air.

I started another thread here asking about closing in the area under the porch with rigid insulation behind the lattice, and was told too much moisture would accumulate. So my next plan of attack is to better insulate the floor. On the outside there is soffit, and on the inside is grouted tile.

I haven't been able to find anything on the internet about the best approach to put in some sprayed closed-cell foam insulation. Can anyone help out?

Thanks,
Timothy

Old 04-25-14, 05:32 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Is the porch a converted 3 season porch? Some pics might help.

Old 04-26-14, 01:30 PM
G
It's a new builder-grade home, so it was built as a 4-season porch, but the builder cut some corners. Here are some pictures for you:

here is the outside, bottom through the lattice:

and the inside floor:

Old 04-26-14, 02:56 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I used to sleep in a room like that, on the back, of a house. It was always cold. The only difference was that there was concrete block with a vent, in place of where you have the lattice. Exactly where do you feel the air entering the room? From the inside pic, I don't see any radiators or baseboard heating. How is the room heated?

Old 04-26-14, 05:57 PM
G
I haven't felt for a specific entry point in the room - rather I've had the entry doors open in the winter and felt massive amounts of cold air coming in from the porch to our living room.

There is not a vent or anything in the room.

With ~6 windows and an elevated floor, I'm mostly just trying to minimize heat loss.

Old 04-26-14, 10:48 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I understand all that. You need to pinpoint exactly where the cold air is entering. Are the outside walls insulated? The fact that there is no heating, in the room, doesn't help either.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: