Help! How to Hang a Swing in a 3 Season Porch

Old 04-24-14, 08:56 PM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help! How to Hang a Swing in a 3 Season Porch

Hi All,

I am completely new to this site as well any structural DIY . Any help recieved will be greatly appreciated! My husband made me a porch swing in hopes of hanging it from the rafters in our 3 season porch. After mulitiple attempts to google 'how to' instructions and varying views we are stumped as to how to Safely hang the swing. The porch was built as an extension onto the garage. The joists are exposed and consist of only 2x4's to support the plywood roof. We had planned on hanging the swing in the back corner (1st picture) from two 2x4's perpendicular through the joists. My question is, do I need to reinforce the joists to hang the swing? If so, how would I do this? Like I stated earlier we are pretty clueless when it comes to anything structural but, with two little ones running around I want to ensure that it is safe to hang the swing. Thank you in advance!!!

Attached Images    
Old 04-25-14, 04:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I don't like screwing lags or drilling into trusses. They are meant to be unmodified for their purpose of holding the roof up. You can add a couple of truss type bridges that will carry the weight between two truss chords as seen in my very rudimentary paint drawing. It will entail using a 2x4 to span across two trusses, probably 26" long, then a 4x4 cut to go inside the trusses, probably 22 1/2" long and fastened to the 2x4 with screws. It will be laid atop the trusses and screwed down into the chord and across the ends of the chord to keep it stable. Then you can run an eye bolt with washers and nut through the entire thing to give adequate support to your swing. The eye bolt would be about 9" long along the shaft. I would use a 1/2" bolt.
I am only on my first cup of coffee and others will have different ideas, so hang in there.

Name:  swing.JPG
Views: 1815
Size:  3.8 KB

Do this twice, one for each attachment point.

Attached Images  
Old 04-25-14, 05:02 AM
Received 621 Likes on 554 Posts
As I was reading this I was saying a swing is not all that big a deal. But after seeing the swing I agree the weight needs to be spread across as much of the rafters as possible. Larry's suggestions seems like a inexpensive and easy way to go.

Old 04-25-14, 09:17 AM
K
Thank you guys so much for the reply! So if I understand correctly the 2x4 will lay spread on top of 2 of the trusses and the 4x4 will then be screwed into the 2x4 without any connections into the trusses themselves?

Old 04-25-14, 03:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
No, secure the 4x4 to the sides of the trusses as well. Using a 1/4" lag bolt with washer about 3" long would suffice. That way you are having the 4x4 secure on all sides. Your eye bolt will be drilled through all of it.

Old 04-25-14, 04:42 PM
K
I think I got it now. Thanks again for all the help! I'm going to give it a shot this weekend, we'll see how it goes

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: