Masonry around semi-inground pool

Old 04-25-14, 08:52 AM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Masonry around semi-inground pool

Hi, I am putting in a semi-inground pool. It is aluminum sides and will be set about 2 feet into the ground. I would like to put brick/stone/pavers around it, not on the ground, but a wall up against it. Sort of like the image at the bottom of this page: Looking for Swimming Pool Contractor in Vermont?

When I did pavers on my walkway a few years ago, I dug down a couple of feet and poured a concrete foundation so it didnt move.

Would I need to do the same thing in order to build a wall like this around the pool? Or would a few inches of RCA be ok? -- like would normally be used for a patio (at least in my area).

Thanks.

Old 04-25-14, 05:29 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
You have to be sure that the block doesn't put pressure against the sides of the pool. I'm sure that your not the first to do it so I would contact the manufacturer of the pool, for their opinion.

Old 04-26-14, 05:37 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,462 Posts
I would use precast, interlocking concrete retaining wall blocks not pavers. Also not the blocks you buy from a home center but the 100lb proper, engineered retaining wall blocks you can get from a masonry supplier. Then I would install the proper base for a retaining wall before starting the pool and extend that base a bit further than should be needed to give yourself a margin for error. That way you won't have to excavate right next to the pool.

Old 04-26-14, 06:06 AM
When you buy the retaining wall block, make sure they are not the type that have set-back each course and that they can be installed to a tight radius. The set-back could require the first course to be slightly away from the pool and come back toward the pool. There are not many different types that can be stacked vertically AND laid in a circle.

Strength is not as important as stability. The pool is already structurally stable so you are just putting up a more pleasing facade.

Some smaller landscape wall units could be stacked if a rebar is driven into a core for stability. The smaller size units may be more pleasing if the radius is tight.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: