sliding privacy panels for deck

Old 04-26-14, 06:24 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sliding privacy panels for deck

So I was thinking that it would be kind of nice to have some privacy panels on the west side of my deck...I already have a railing there but wondered if I could put some panels of some kind of frosted plastic that would be in the inside of the railing and even neater if they could slide (so maybe 2 or 3 of them). My width is about 12' and height wise I'm thinking 6 feet is good. Is an idea like this something that could be a do it yourself project? I'm not looking to enclose anything, more just a privacy wall that could move or be taken down for the winter. Does anyone have any ideas if this could be a go to the home improvement store with a list and handy friends to build this project? Thanks for any insights! Cathy

Old 04-26-14, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can buy sliding track such as that used for cabinets. I think it comes in 2 and 3 track widths.

6' is the big issue. Any solid panel would be blown out by a good wind. Privacy screens might be an option.

You could also consider vinyl lattice. It comes in many patterns, and with a light on the outside, it's almost impossible to see through unless you have yer eye to an opening. Very flexible though...it would have to be secured well.

Old 04-26-14, 07:10 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you think this material could work but the waves were vertical not horizontal? Simple fence | DoItYourself.com

Old 04-26-14, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Those are basically translucent plastic panels as used for green house walls and such. They make similar for shed and deck ceilings, sort of a poor mans skylight. They are still pretty flexible, but mounted horizontally, might work. Vertically, I doubt it. The cheaper ones are pretty thin. You'd need to evaluate the flex of a 4' section.

Old 04-27-14, 07:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I were to build a privacy fence on a deck, I'd forget the movable requirement and make the panels permanent. Using pressure-treated 2 x 4s for framing and stained (or painted) lattice panels for infill, they could be made strong enough to resist winter winds, in addition to not clattering in the slightest breeze, and being a lot less expensive to build. An added benefit might be the panels' ability to keep blowing snow from accumulating on your deck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: