Recommendations for Base/Dig Depth of Patio

Old 04-29-14, 06:29 AM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommendations for Base/Dig Depth of Patio

Looking to put in a patio with these pavers...

Shop allen + roth Cassay Allegheny Four-Cobble Patio Stone (Common: 16-in x 16-in; Actual: 15.7-in H x 15.7-in L) at Lowes.com

I live in lower Delaware (Zone 7) and the soil near my foundation is probably heavier on the clay side.

The patio will have a section that is 16' X 4' along my house to put my grill and a section that is 19' X 10' (Minus a 4X6 existing deck landing and a 3X5 "Jut out" for my gas fireplace that will just have mulch under it.)

Because these paver stones are fairly big (I think a purist would call them "Patio Stones") I'm wondering if I can get away with not getting too crazy with the base. I was thinking about 2" of crush-n-run hand tamped and 1" of leveling sand. Thoughts?

Old 04-29-14, 08:00 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Some masons would argue that you need a concrete base. Wait for other opinions. What caught my attention was that you want to put the grill too close to the house. I hope your house doesn't have vinyl siding.

Old 04-29-14, 08:52 AM
C
Hmm it does have vinyl siding but it would have over a foot or so of clearance from the wall, never had a problem before, did you melt your vinyl siding at some point?

Old 04-29-14, 03:57 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
A foot clearance is not enough. It never happened to me but melting would be an understatement. That stuff is so flammable, I can't believe that it's legal. Maybe you should test it to see if I'm right.

Old 04-29-14, 04:00 PM
C
Gotcha. Probably good advice.

Old 04-29-14, 04:16 PM
A concrete product that size usually requires a good base. Because of the pattern(weak points/false joints) you can get away with a softer base because the cracks and settlement may not be noticed and if you have good drainage any heaving will not be a safety or tripping problem. "Patio stones" is a good description since it infers not a high quality unit in terms of strength, not like pavers.

You are right about large units requiring a very good and deep base for critical applications, which a patio does not fall into that category.

Dick

Old 04-29-14, 09:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speaking of having vinyl siding too close to a BBQ grill--a neighbor across the street from us in Colorado a few years ago managed to practically burn his house down. He had fired up his grill (he had put all burners on high settings), then went into the house and promptly forgot about it. His next-door neighbor happened to glance over while cutting his lawn because of the "funny smell," and saw the vinyl siding both smoldering and melting. He rushed over, and put out an impending disaster using the owner's garden hose. As I recall, that grill was between 18" and 2' away from the wall that wanted to burn, and the prevailing breezes probably helped to direct the heat towards the wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: