stairs for a deck

Old 04-29-14, 11:58 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
stairs for a deck

Ill try to give as much info as possible.....im building (in the process of) a 16 x 16 foot deck approx 15 1/4" off the ground. 4 x 4's are 3" off the ground, the beams are 2 x 6's, and the joists are 2 x 6's, and the decking is 5/4 x 6....roughly 15 1/4" off the ground. My question is this, how do i build 1 step from the ground to the deck?? I've done so many figures and i just can't figure out a proper way of achieving this? I want 1 stair on 2 sides of the deck. The west side is the house, the north side is the property line/fence, i want the stair on the east and south sides the entire length. ANY help is MUCH appreciated!! Thank you in advance!
Ted

Old 04-29-14, 12:01 PM
I just set the 4 x 4s' for the beams, and waiting for all this rain to pass before building the beams, frame, and joists....just some more info. Thanks!!

Old 04-29-14, 12:21 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
How you build the two continuous steps depends on how the deck proper is built. If it sits on deep concrete footings below the frost line, you don't want the steps heaving every winter when the ground freezes beneath them while the deck remains stationary. If the deck is floating, then it shouldn't be much of a problem to build several long boxes, tied to the deck framing every 4' or so, and resting on shallow concrete footings (sloped to drain). You don't want any wood (even if preservative pressure treated) in direct contact with the ground.

Old 04-29-14, 12:21 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Not sure if I totally understand your question
At 15"+ you'll need 3 steps since the 7" is the max rise you are allowed per thread.

Old 04-29-14, 12:26 PM
Actually, I think he only needs one step, with the deck rimboards themselves forming the top step. Most codes and DCA 6 allow 7-3/4" as a maximum riser height.

Old 04-29-14, 12:31 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
You're right, for some reason my brain wasn't processing the deck making up the top step
I forgot that 7" was the optimal height and not the max.

Old 04-30-14, 04:28 AM
First, thanks for your reply! The 4 x 4's are set 24" deep, so since it's not a floating deck, i can't build boxes tied to the framing. So, what's your advice since the footing are in concrete? Thanks again for your advice!

Old 04-30-14, 04:31 AM
Thanks for the welcome!! And yes, only need the one step

Old 04-30-14, 11:26 AM
Some clarity is needed. First you said the 4 x 4s are 3" off the ground, now you're saying they go down 24". Does that mean they are projecting 3" above the concrete they are buried in, 24" deep? If that's the case, now would be the time to make some needed corrections. Buried wood in concrete will rot faster than if just anchored to the tops of concrete footings, above grade. Poke them where they project from the footings, and if soft and mushy, they should be replaced. And I doubt that a box step can't be attached to the framing, done in a floating hinge configuration, unless I'm missing something. A few pix of what you're looking at would help a lot.

Old 05-01-14, 05:13 AM
I apologize for not being clear, the 4 x 4's are 3" above ground level (grade), ( anchored to concrete that goes 24" into the ground) As far as the box step, previously you said if the deck sits on concrete below the frost line, i wouldn't want the steps heaving every time the ground freezes while the deck remains stationary. I took that to mean i could not build the step boxes because the deck is not floating? Did i take that the wrong way? If the box step can be utilized with this deck, how exactly would you build, and attach them? As far as pics, ill get some today. Thank you again for the help!!

Old 05-01-14, 05:16 AM
Im reading post #3, and you're saying it depends on how the deck proper is built, and if it is a floating deck, it would not be a problem building several long boxes tied to the framing every 4' or so, but my deck is anchored to 4 x 4's, so i took that to mean i could not use that approach??

Old 05-05-14, 02:15 PM
I got it figured out, guess i was over thinking the situation. Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: