Fixing earth to wood contact on deck posts

Old 05-04-14, 04:37 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Fixing earth to wood contact on deck posts

I've got some earth to wood contact I need to take care of with our deck. Most of the contact areas involve the deck support posts, but there are others.

For the posts, they all have concrete foundations, however the deck sits on a slope, and the posts closer to the slope side tend have their concrete foundations buried:

Posts on the slope side

Here are what the posts look like on the other side of the deck towards the bottom of the slope, which are fine:

Posts toward the bottom of the hill

Here is another point of contact on the deck, the stairs:

Point of contact at stairs

Now my questions:

How should I handle the posts? Should I clear the dirt around them? Or should I clear the dirt below the deck entirely to make it level on both sides of the deck?

As for the stairs, should I just pour some concrete below and around them? Not really sure how to handle this, since I'm sure the dirt will come back over top. Maybe I should build a walkway here? Open to any ideas.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-14, 05:12 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The buried columns ends should be placed on concrete deck blocks, just like the others already are. Should be a fairly easy install. Since you live in earthquake country, you might touch base with your local AHJ, as they may have more stringent anchorage requirements than just loose blocks. The stairs can be temporarily supported and concrete poured under them. If moving soil is a concern, a simple solution would be to (tightly) mortar some solid concrete blocks on the back side of the slab you pour. Temporarily removing a few stair treads will be necessary to do any/all of the concrete and masonry work.

Old 05-04-14, 05:17 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
BridgeMan45, the buried posts are already sitting on concrete, they're just covered by the dirt.

I'll try to get in touch with local earthquake authorities about anchoring requirements.

Old 05-04-14, 05:53 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Shorten the timber columns enough to provide a tight fit with either concrete deck blocks, or CIP concrete footing extensions.