Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Decks, Patios, Porches, Walkways, Driveways, Stairs, Steps and Docks
Reload this Page >

What kind of flooring is recommended for a solid balcony exposed to heat?

Old 05-06-14, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

My mother had some work done on her house, but it's not providing good results and no one knows how to fix it.

My mother has a large house with a balcony over the front porch, and it's solid (lower level porch has solid ceiling). The balcony does not have a ceiling, it's open and exposed to the elements. The house was built about 20 years ago, and the porch ceiling/ balcony was not built properly and some rotting occurred. The floor was solid plywood with a thick coating of something on it. It eventually leaked and caused rotting.

They recently removed the rotten part and recovered the the floor with new plywood, and painted it with 5 layers of something rubbery. Then they placed rubber tiles over it. The tiles were not designed for porches like this, I"m not sure what they were designed for. They are buckling up under the sun and allowing rain to get under them and pool up.

Everyone that we've asked has said that they don't know how to floor an upstairs balcony like this. However, we know that houses are built this way all the time, so that doesn't make sense. We've just never visited one and walked on their balcony to see what they use.

I thought weather resistant decking might work, as long as the balcony had a slight slope to allow rain to run off and not pool up - although if it's pooling up now, that may not be the case.

Mom thought linoleum or a similar vinyl floor would work, but I worry that the sun and heat will make it degrade quickly. We're in the south and the balcony gets direct sunlight. She also suggested tile, but if the wood shifts from the weather, it might crack along the grout.

Can anyone recommend a flooring for solid floor exposed balconies?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-14, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've seen other posts originating in your part of the country that mentioned solid, CIP concrete being used. Properly installed, and pitched to drain, it's not likely to fail in your lifetime, unless you live in a coastal area with salt in the air.

Old 05-07-14, 01:01 PM
Received 31 Votes on 28 Posts
Not my expertise, but I've seen shows where flat roof tops are covered with a rubberized material and then deck boards are placed over that as a walking surface. Slope is important and as you have learned, a 100% waterproof roof is a must.

Bud