Temporary patio/deck

Old 05-07-14, 06:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Temporary patio/deck

Hi all,

I am looking to create an outdoor space with the intention of it not being permanent. Within 2-3 years I would like to add a deck or full scale patio, so what I need for now is something that will hold up, and won't look like crap.

The area for this is on the back of the house, off a converted raised porch which sits about 10" above grade. I would really like to put a deck on grade eventually here. To me personally, I just like the look of a deck over a patio.

So anyway what are my options for something to last 2-3 years, cheap (less than $500) and somewhat ok looking? I've seen people use deck blocks for a floating deck, others use pallets, others use pavers right on grass, deck built on landscape timbers...etc.

Another idea that came to me would be using plastic pallets on a bed of gravel, covered with exterior grade plywood/ or decking boards.

I live in western NY.

Thanks

Last edited by hobkyl; 05-07-14 at 07:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-14, 12:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Buy a truckload of crushed gravel, place and compact it, using used railroad ties for the border. When you're ready for a "permanent" deck, you can use the gravel for batching your footing concrete, and sections of the railroad ties for columns.