Stucco Skirting

Old 05-08-14, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stucco Skirting

So this has inspired me to do a stucco skirting under my deck.Name:  austin-ipe-deck-with-planters-6x44.jpg
Views: 5895
Size:  34.4 KB
Name:  austin-multi-level-ipe-deck-with-planters-and-stucco-skirting-6x4.jpg
Views: 9629
Size:  39.6 KB

According to the website they used Hardipanel in stucco finish which SOUNDS great! However, after research and a phone call to technical support, Hardipanel cannot get wet on the back because of the wood fibers it consists of. I've tried to find alternatives to this that would work, but all the products I find are meant to be attached to a house thus keeping the back dry.
1. I'm confused how they used Hardipanel on the above deck.
2. Is there an alternative short of making a real stucco wall?

FYI:
My deck is going to be about 6ft off the ground, the skirting/wall will terminate on my stamped concrete patio.

I apologize in advance if I have left off needed info, I normally research and research some more until I find an adequate answer, but this has me at a loss!

Your help will be greatly appreciated!
Regards,
Victor

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-14, 03:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
Welcome to the forums Victor!

Just because someone does something and it looks nice doesn't necessarily mean it was done right or will look good long term. The climate it is exposed to will also play a part. I wonder if you sealed the backside of the the hardi if that would make a difference ?? Those that know more than me should be along later so wait and see what they say.

Old 05-08-14, 07:18 PM
Thanks Marksr,

I was also considering coating the back of the hardipanel with some type of sealant. Possibly the same stuff they use to coat the same board in shower installations. I just would hate to spend all the time and effort only to have it look bad after a few months.

Patiently awaiting other opinions....

Old 05-08-14, 07:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's not the back side that's the issue.
It's the bottom where it makes contact with anything solid like a deck, stoop, roof, ECT.
May want to down load the Hardee install directions.
A simple way around it is to use vinyl lumber at the bottom.
Have you tried to find the Stucco finish in your area? It's hard to find without having to buy a pallet load.

Old 05-08-14, 08:22 PM
I haven't really looked yet, but according to my local Home Depot Website they have 67 sheets of 4X8 in stock.
I did notice on the pic I posted they didn't go all the way to the ground.
My decking is actually a Brazilian hardwood called Massaranduba. I was thinking about trimming the seems, bottom and top with the hardwood to tie it (visually) back to the deck.

My decking is 5.5". What if I put a piece along the bottom against my stamped concrete and then ran the hardiepanel behind it just enough to hide it. Maybe 1/2 to 1 inch?
Think that would work?
Here are some pics of my "almost" complete framed deck. LOL
Name:  20140508_185123(0)_resized.jpg
Views: 2440
Size:  40.9 KBName:  20140508_185123_resized.jpg
Views: 2474
Size:  42.0 KBName:  20140508_185136_resized.jpg
Views: 2644
Size:  41.8 KBName:  20140508_185152_resized.jpg
Views: 3590
Size:  31.5 KBName:  20140508_185157_resized.jpg
Views: 2962
Size:  42.3 KB

Old 05-09-14, 04:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
2 things I forgot to mention earlier; you want to provide some sort of ventilation under the deck. Trapped moisture will shorten the life of the wood! Also cement board generally needs extra support so it would need good framing behind it. While kind of pricey, I wonder if this would fit the bill - Shop James Hardie 48-in x 120-in Stucco Fiber Cement Panel Siding at Lowes.com

Old 05-09-14, 06:54 AM
Marksr,

The whole side towards the fence is going to be open, lattice at the most. That side is over 7' high and about 17' long.

As for the smaller deck, I may have to work some vents into my design. I'm probably going to lattice the backside which you cannot see in the photo's, but its only 15" off the ground and 11' wide so I think vents in other areas will be called for. Plus my hot tub is decked which also restricts air flow.

The hardie stucco panel is what I have been looking at. Didn't know it came in 120" though! I was looking at 48X96. 120 would give me a lot less seams.

I realize this stuff is heavy, not just going to be able to hang it from the fascia board.
I will probably attach a 2X4 to the back of the cement patio, then run more 2X4's vertically 16" on center with some cross bracing. May even brace it to the actual posts some how as well.