Resurface Large, Cracked, Concrete Patio

Old 05-10-14, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Resurface Large, Cracked, Concrete Patio

Between our home and carport, we have a 20 X 26' concrete patio. We have a cedar table and chairs there as well as a gas BBQ. It's a great place for outdoor living. The problem is that the concrete has no expansion joints and so has large cracks running in all directions. It has settled over the decades and is not level.

We would like to improve the appearance of this much-used surface. We had an estimate to have it removed and replaced with either exposed aggregate or stamped concrete, but it was in the $10,000 range. We're looking for a more affordable but still aesthetically pleasing option. Any ideas?

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-14, 08:09 PM
The $10,000 quote was just about $20 per S.F., which is pretty much the going rate for stamped or specialty (exposed aggregate) concrete. At least around here (central Oregon). You could just about cut the price in half by going with conventional concrete instead of the fancy stuff. Moreso if you do the removals and haul away yourself. There's only about $1000 in concrete cost, so you could really save some bucks by pouring it yourself, too.

Old 05-11-14, 12:17 PM
Thanks!

Thanks! I appreciate your reply. It helps to know what I would be paying for in a re and re job. Prices might be a bit higher here in Vancouver, BC but I don't know.

I'm wondering if there is a sustainable, decent-looking way to work with the concrete we have now without removing it. Is resurfacing an option?

Old 05-11-14, 04:20 PM
I'm not sure there are any concrete resurfacing materials that could successfully hide and/or bridge all of the cracks. The cracks appear quite wide, and are acting as expansion joints for the slab, so they will always be with you. Maybe someone with more resurfacing experience than I have (that being a grand total of zero) will have more educated thoughts or suggestions on the matter.

Old 05-12-14, 04:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
Not really a fix but you could pressure wash the concrete, repair the cracks and then apply a solid concrete stain. That won't make the cracks disappear but it would clean it up some.

Old 05-12-14, 05:23 AM
this is largely a diy forum but some use it for evaluating whether or not the task at hand could be diy OR best left to a pro,,, i suspect replacing the patio could be easier for a competent diy'er than properly resurfacing - different skills & knowledge.

bridge's right - you needed that thing properly jointed when it was 1st placed for best results,,, sealing cracks keeps water out of the base material so it doesn't settle

resurfacing could be an option - google up 'elitecrete' [no $ interest] & find the local distributor,,, he'd be a good place to start,,, we used to primarily overlay conc to repair & enhance its appearance but that was 10yrs ago,,, from what i've seen of the trade in the last 10yrs, eC still leads the pack

Old 05-15-14, 10:32 AM
Thanks again!

Many thanks for the responses. I'm looking into both suggestions - repair & stain and Elite-crete.

Old 05-19-14, 03:27 PM
Both Quickrete and Sacrete make concrete resurfacing products that can be applied with a squeegee. They are polymer modified, but are fairly expensive.

I did it on a cracked patio a third that size (10' x 8'), and it was a lot of work, and did not come out perfect.

If I was you, I would look into doing a thin veneer over the patio, something like flagstone.