10x10 feet deck support options

Old 05-13-14, 05:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question 10x10 feet deck support options

Hi all,

I live in Toronto Canada so weather wise we freezing temperatures, rain, and a little summer

I plan to be constructing a 10x10 PT deck which is not raised off the ground much. No specific height yet but I'd say at most roughly 1ft off the ground to the top decking.

Deck will be free standing and not connected to the house...etc.

Wondering if anyone can recommend anything to use for the support footings. Id prefer not to deal with sono tubes if at all possible. I've seen some other products like premade cement footing that appear to just sit on the ground or some metal spikes that just get pounded into the ground.

Anyway any thoughts would be great.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-14, 06:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
While I am not completely convinced they will work in your area, dek blocks may be a solution for low free standing small deck as you describe. Your ground will freeze and thaw, causing heaving, but others on the forum with more experience in up north methods seem to think it will be fine.

Old 05-13-14, 07:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hey chandler,

Thanks for the quick reply. Just to be clear as you say in winter the deck may shift/heave a bit, but once warmer weather comes and the ground thaws it should settle back to where I left it? I don't plan on using it during the winter much if at all, so if it shifts a bit in the winter that shouldn't be a problem for me.

Cheers!