replacing the decking on my front porch

Old 05-14-14, 01:05 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
replacing the decking on my front porch

So I just bought a house and one of the things that I need to do is replace the deck boards on my front porch. Problem is that the decking does under a 2x8 that has the load bearing posts that hold up the roof on it. Anyone have suggestions on how to go about replacing the decking? I will post a pic later when I get home from work (I work 3rd shift).

Thanks!

Old 05-14-14, 04:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 424 Votes on 379 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Pics would be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

You'll probably need to temporarily support what the posts holds up while you replace the deck boards. Are you sure the decking doesn't go around the post instead of setting on it?

Old 05-14-14, 05:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 962 Votes on 883 Posts
I construct temporary posts that are at a slight angle outward so you can support the weight above from the ground. Slightly jack up the roof above and install the temporary posts. I usually use a hydraulic bottle jack. Then use a reciprocating saw to cut any nails through the bottom of your columns so you can slide the deck boards out. Then when you are done with the repair, lower the column back down onto the new decking and nail the base in place so it can't get kicked ajar.

Old 05-14-14, 09:21 AM
B
Name:  Front Porch.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  41.7 KB
@Marksr - Yeah I am sure they dont go around, I can see the nail heads on the front and back of the posts, nailing it to the 2x8. I also know the decking runs under the 2x8 because in the crawl space the boards go all the way to the edge of the porch.

@PilotDane - Is there any recommendation on what I should use, would Four 4x4s be enough to support the weight? Should I hammer in stakes behind these posts? Also would it work if I put in the supports on the decking, but just keep moving them? I only worry that the distance from roof to the ground is so far that even a 12' 4x4 might not shore it up at all.

If you need better pics I will try to take closeups, but my camera phone is kinda lame for close up pics. Any other ideas is much appreciated!

Old 05-14-14, 10:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Back up and take a pic showing just what/how the posts support what's above. Plywood isn't a good choice for exterior decking, do you intend to switch to 1x lumber?

Old 05-14-14, 01:16 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 962 Votes on 883 Posts
I would go all the way to the ground with temporary posts if possible. It will make removal of the plywood easier and allow you to rip everything off and start over fresh. Don't forget you'll need timbers/blocks on the ground to spread out the load and that will help with the height.

I agree with MarkSr. Pressure treated plywood I think is a great joke played on us by the lumber companies. I've never seen a situation where it did not warp severely and delaminate in five years or less.

Old 05-14-14, 07:36 PM
B
Name:  20140514_183928.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  21.5 KBName:  20140514_183941.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  31.0 KBName:  20140514_183951.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  41.1 KBName:  Front Porch.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  22.4 KB

Just so you guys know, it is not actually plywood, it is some kind of vinyl covering over the strange sized boards underneath (4.25"x1.5"actual size). Sorry I did not take a good picture of the decking.
I had already bought some 1x4 decking to replace the boards, but this will apparently not work, I am guessing I should replace it with 2x4s?

Old 05-14-14, 07:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 988 Votes on 899 Posts
At first glance I think I would set a skilsaw as deep as it would go (about 2 1/2") and run it alongside the 2x8 and cut the old deck boards off maybe 1/8" away from the edge of the 2x8, and leave them sandwiched underneath.

Old 05-15-14, 09:02 AM
B
Only problem with just cutting them off is then I need to add a new cross member to support the ends and create something to nail to, yes?

And has anyone seen this size of lumber before? Strange that its 4 1/4" x 1 1/2". Since the thickness is the same as 2x4s I guess I will replace with those. Is it ok to use that white wood studs from the big box store? Or do they need to be pressure treated?

I was thinking of staining them, unless I am using PT of course. I was considering the stain because I was planning on making a new railing, because the rail is quite low on the front porch, maybe just above knee level.

Old 05-15-14, 10:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
That is an odd size. Generally it's best to go with PT lumber on exterior decks/porches. It will last longer than white wood! 2x6s might work better than 2x4s. I'd suggest using a deck stain after the wood has dried from the PT process. You might like some of the toner or translucent stains.

Old 05-15-14, 06:56 PM
B
Thanks for all the help guys! It will be a couple weekends till I can buy the supplies and get around to doing it, but I will let you know how it goes. Thanks!!

Also, thanks for noone mention how dirty the house is! She needs a good pressure washing, but it has been pretty rainy and nasty here in the Pacific Northwest.

Old 05-16-14, 03:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The house needs cleaning BUT fixing the porch deck is more important besides if we blasted you for the things not done at your house, you might come over and nit pick ours

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: