Tongue and Groove Porch Ceiling question

Old 05-14-14, 07:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tongue and Groove Porch Ceiling question

We would like to redo the ceiling of our porch with tongue and groove planking. However, I am wondering if we need to remove the existing porch ceiling. It is a covered area and there seems to be no damage/rot to the current ceiling, and the paint is not peeling. Can we install the boards directly over the ceiling? Do we need to put down a barrier? Use furring strips? Or do we just remove the existing material and start over? We are in the Houston area, so it does get humid. I know what to do in terms of installing the planking, just not sure how to get started. Thanks in advance for the help!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-14, 07:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I think a lot depends on the wood you use. I've seen some use 1/4" T&G over existing ceilings, it being so thin I doubt it would lay flat if nailed directly to the joists. Other than that I don't think it makes a difference although nailing over the existing will lower the ceiling a little - not sure how that will affect your wood along the sides. BUT, I'm a painter not a carpenter, they should be along later.

Old 05-14-14, 07:46 AM
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
Hi Marti and welcome to the forum.
What is above the porch? In some cases there can be living space up there, in others it is just empty attic. T&G does not air seal well, so if living space then you need an air barroer, which the existing ceiling is providing.

More details.

Bud

Old 05-14-14, 06:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 243 Votes on 224 Posts
No explanation of what the "existing ceiling" is made of... no explanation of what material is being used for the new t&g ceiling ... (is it 5/16" thick... 3/4" thick... 1 1/2" thick? Plus we don't know what's above the existing ceiling. Usually t&g plank just needs to run perpendicular to the joists. Are the joists 16" OC or 24" OC? You might be able to go over the existing, depending on what it is and what you're putting up.

Old 05-15-14, 07:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's a shingled covered porch extension off of the main house. So there is no living space over it. Not entirely sure what the existing material is. There are quite a few layers of paint on it, which seems to be in good condition (no moisture problems detected). I'm assuming its the standard builder plywood. We haven't purchased the t&g material yet. Debating on pine or cedar. I know a thick plank will have less chance to warp or buckle. If you have suggestions, please share. Like I said, just gathering info before deciding on undertaking the project.

Old 05-15-14, 09:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
What type of finish do you intend to put on the boards? Pine paints better than cedar. If you intend to stain, I like to stain and apply 2 coats of poly prior to installation as it's quicker easier to finish the wood on saw horses. Apply the final coat after installation.

Old 05-15-14, 11:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 243 Votes on 224 Posts
1X6 car siding works well. It will come with a double v-groove on one side and is t&g.