Patio Roof Ledger FLashing

Old 05-14-14, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Patio Roof Ledger FLashing

I'm confused about flashing of a ledger board for a patio roof. Our house is Stucco. I want to install a ledger board under the roof overhang for a new patio roof I want to build. Since the ledger board will be under the roof I thought I didn't need to flash it but my dad thinks it should. I don't see how I can flash the top part of the ledger board since there is nothing above it. I attached a pic of how the outside looks like (the red rectangle is the ledger board). I wont be putting the ledger board on top of the stucco, instead will be cutting out a section of the stucco the size of the board to get a better hold of the studs.

Or should I just rest the new patio roof rafters on top of the top plates of the house?

Thanks

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-14, 06:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 303 Votes on 276 Posts
You're not giving us much to go on. "New patio roof" leaves a lot to the imagination. We don't know if this is a light roof, like fiberglass panels, corrugated steel, or SIP. Or if it will be shingled... if it will have any snow load... if it will be at the same pitch as the existing roof or if it will be low slope.

At any rate, being in CA, you surely have to run this past your permits dept. and have a building inspector okay it. We can't plan your addition for you so you'll have to provide a few more details in order for us to be of any help.

Old 05-20-14, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sorry here is more info. It will be a shingled roof at 3:12 and its not connected to the house roof, it will be like in the picture, connected to a ledger board under the house roof. I'm in the bay are so no snow.. The patio roof will measure 24 feet wide(side of the house) and extends out 12 feet. It will have four 4x6 posts opposite the house with a 4x6 beam and 2x6 rafters 16 OC. The ledger board will be 2x8 across the house exterior wall. I just need to know how to properly flash the ledger board.

Thanks again

Old 05-25-14, 08:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 303 Votes on 276 Posts
Well, having a shingled roof underneath the existing soffit will make it pretty hard to shingle those last few feet, unless you leave plenty of room. In any case, you don't flash the ledger board (like you would on a deck) because the flashing is applied after the shingles are laid.

If your intent is for the roof to hug the existing soffit as closely as possible then you probably won't have any shingles or flashing under that soffit, and instead you would probably have to flash it to the fascia behind the gutter which can be kind of risky since it will have to rely on counter flashing if you don't want it to leak.

IMO you would probably be better off to tie the roof to your existing rafters (remove the gutter and fascia then sister the new rafters to the existing and sit them on the top plate) so that the new roof will just be a continuation of your existing roof. Of course, without seeing the plans and having only a 4ft wide picture to go on it's hard to give very good advice.