Painting my deck

Old 05-15-14, 06:37 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Painting my deck

I know this question has been answer many times over and over. But I have been searching online for other substitute to accomplished my task. The house that I bough has a double deck. The bottle part, the floor is made out of composite (if I am correct with the right word), but the product is bucking up and I do not understand why and neither I know how to fix such issue.

The second and most important part of this thread is that the second deck is made out of pure wood, floor to railing. The prior owners attempted on removing the paint but there is still some left. I have used a power washer, but did not have the fan style nose, so I had to use a stream jet line. Took a long time but it didnt do much good. The paint still there. I have tried using many paint striper and even though some paint buckles up, the majority still there. I can tell that it has layers over layers of paint.

I am starting to use the sander, but even using 80 grid, just one small part it takes for ever to even remove or come close to remove the whole paint section, without pretty much sanding down a lot of the wood.

I do know know what else to do to finish it up. I am attempting to use Solid Stain, so is not fully stain, it looks like paint. Redwood, to be precise, prior paint is dark blue.

What can i do?

Old 05-16-14, 03:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Do you know what kind of paint is currently on the deck? Assuming the paint doesn't have a lot of sheen, I'd probably remove all the loose and then apply 1-2 coats of solid deck stain. The paint that is well bonded should be ok, if it does turn loose at a later date - mother nature will have done the work for you.

Old 05-16-14, 02:35 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
One more vote for solid stain instead of paint.

If this paint is really on that tight, it's probably fine to go over it with the stain. As Mark said, I'd only be concerned about removing anything loose.

Old 05-17-14, 08:38 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
So, any stuck paint is fine to paint over with solid stain? since solid stain is not like regular stain where the wood would show.

I only have the concerns since many have told me that no matter what stains I use, the removal of all paint from prior painting needs to be done. And I think the paint on it now, must either be oil base or something. And as stated before, multiple layers.

Old 05-17-14, 02:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
While applying a solid stain over paint isn't ideal, sometimes you gotta do what you have to. I've always strived to remove 90% of the paint before applying solid stain but if it's bonded well now, it will likely stay bonded and solid stain will cover it [might take 2 coats and it will dry slower over the paint]

In a perfect world you'd remove all the paint first ..... but I've never been to that world

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: