Attaching a privacy screen to the fence

Old 05-18-14, 07:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attaching a privacy screen to the fence

Hello everybody,

I would like to build a privacy screen between me and my neighbour, the 6ft fence is just too low. My idea is to have two sections, each about 6ft wide and 9ft high. The frame will be from 4x4 posts (also on top) and in between some sort of lattice structure.

My question is: Can I attach one end of the 4x4 to the 6x6 pre existing fence post, and the other end secure it to the fence boards, eventually burying that end deeper into the ground as well. The distance between the fence posts is 8ft, shorter than my intended privacy screen length. IF the answer is yes, could I also attach one end of the second privacy screen to the same fence post (on the other lateral side), or having two 4x4 attached to the 6x6 will put too much load on the fence post?

Of course, the alternative is to set the screen posts in concrete footing, a feet or so away from the fence, but I want to see whether the previous solution is feasible as well.

I am really a newbie, and I apologize if I wasn't clear enough or didn't know to use the proper terminology. Oh...my English might not be great either...

Thanks,
Markus

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-14, 10:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
Welcome to the forums Markus!

You didn't state where you live but many places in the US you are restricted on how high a fence can be - have you checked with the local bldg dept to see if you are bound by any such restrictions?

I'll leave the structural question for the carpenters

Old 05-18-14, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hello,

I am actually in Canada, and you are right I should check to see whether there are any city codes related to fence heights. Thanks!