Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Decks, Patios, Porches, Walkways, Driveways, Stairs, Steps and Docks
Reload this Page >

Patio cover with gable roof over existing concrete pad--should I go stick built?

Patio cover with gable roof over existing concrete pad--should I go stick built?

Old 05-18-14, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have an existing concrete patio area 18' x 14'. It is my intention to place a gable roof cover over this area.

We have one bid from Champion Windows of $17,000 to construct a pre-fab fiberglass frame/posts with a shingled roof. The problem I have with this design is that it only comes in white and I am afraid the patio cover/roof addition will absolutely look like an add-on or eyesore on the home.

The other solution is to build a conventional stick-built patio cover with a gable roof with shingles. That way we could design it so it matches the colors and materials of the existing structure and look more like it belongs. Should I expect the wood structure to cost more/less than the pre-fab one?

I am having problems getting contractors out to bid this job because it is not a huge job for most of them.

Here is a picture of the area. The patio roof would be underneath the existing roofline and mirror the slope of that roof, but it would be above the half-moon window at the top.

Here is a picture of the area in question. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I will not be doing the work, but will have a contractor/permits/architect involved if needed.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-14, 06:59 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There are some nice year round awnings available these days. They don't require permits & they are a lot cheaper than 17Gs.