Deck Screw Removal

Old 05-19-14, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck Screw Removal

I am replacing the horizontal deck boards on my old 12x12 deck. I have square drive screws in there now however, when I went to remove them either the screw head stripped or the screw broke off. I plan to use the hex head screws if I can ever get the old broken screws out without tearing up the joists. Got any suggestions on how to remove the broken screws or stripped head screws? I can use an easy out for the stripped heads hopefully, but the broken ones I don't know how to easily remove. I think I would tear up the joists if I used my saws all. I did wee a tool that Rockler sells (screw extractor Screw Extractor - Rockler Woodworking Tools ) but this tubular hole saw would hit the joist and not be very useful. Thanks for any info.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-14, 01:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Is the screw still countersunk? or can you grab hold of it with vise grips? If you are replacing the boards it might be easier to just knock them over and break them with a hammer.

Old 05-19-14, 01:28 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Drill

An impact driver works best on stubborn screws.

For stripped screws, split the board at the screw with a chisel and then break the screw after the board is removed.

When the screws break, remove the board and then finish breaking the screw as Mark said.