4 foot ceiling joist, 4 foot swing help

Old 05-22-14, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
4 foot ceiling joist, 4 foot swing help

Hello, I have been reading through as many posts regarding porch swing installation but I haven't found anything that seems to be related to what I am needing help with. The advice I have read on this forum though seems very helpful and professional so hopefully there is hope for my situation.

I bought a 4 foot porch swing and my porch's width is about 5 feet so I thought there would be room to hang it. But I have run into a problem where the ceiling joists are only 4 foot in width from the wall of the house to where the porch posts are supported.

Simply hanging from the joist so the swing is perpendicular to the porch causes the swing to but up against the side of the house.

So my questions are can I:
1.) move the eye bolts over a foot or so, so that one one bolt is attached directly to the joist and one is attached to the beam supporting the porch posts?
This would cause the chains on 1 side of the swing to be longer than the other so that may not work from that aspect but I wanted to throw the idea out there.

2.) add a wood beam (4x4x4, 2x6x4) that is below the ceiling joist but allows me to shift the eye bolts further from the house wall.

3.) add an 8 foot wood bean between the ceiling joists to hang the swing parallel to the porch?

I am attaching a couple pictures that I hope can help clarify what I am asking.

Thank you all in advance for your help.

- Tim

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-14, 03:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums! there are more joists between the 8' span you are showing. Possibly at 2' or 16" intervals. It would allow you to run the swing the opposite way at 48" either way.

the beam supporting the porch posts
Posts support beams

Do you have a desire to turn the swing at all? I doubt it will be very comfortable the way it is.

Old 05-22-14, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks chandler. I thought it was 8' spans only b/c of where the seams are. I will see if I can find the others joists between then just have to hang the swing parallel.

Posts support beams
- doh! Good catch.