making screened porch panels using AZEK (PVC) boards

Old 05-26-14, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
making screened porch panels using AZEK (PVC) boards

We are having a screened porch built over an existing slab. The 6x6 columns will be wrapped with AZEK column wrap. I will be building the screen panels 40" x 90" and I would like to use AZEK boards (1x4 for top, sides, middle and 1x6 for the bottom) to eliminate maintenance and rot. I am thinking about 1/2 lap joints or pocket screws and PVC glue for either. I see that there are PVC biscuits available so that could be an option also. I'll mount stops on the columns (glue or screw) and screw the panels to the stops.

Has anyone worked with AZEK material or any other PVC trim in this fashion and if so is there any advise you might give?

Thank you for your time in advance

kb

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-14, 10:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 274 Posts
Azek expands and contracts quite a bit and cannot be painted dark colors. If you are using short pieces the expansion and contraction won't be a big issue. Duofast Trimbonder is a good white epoxy to use in place of PVC glue and can also be used to fill gaps and cracks. But you need lots of mixing nozzles if you stop and start. IMO when working on small stuff that's piece by piece it's easy to mix up a little at a time on a scrap by hand rather than waste a nozzle. They get expensive after a while.

Use it just like wood, but due to the expansion and contraction we usually use only screws to attach it, not trim nails. Have an electric planer (with a dust bag) handy to plane the kerf marks off anything you run through a table saw. (faster & better than sanding) Filling screw holes is a pain in the butt... we always use the Trimbonder to cover the screws (2 coats, with lots of sanding) but I suppose a painters putty would work too- just not as good as making the holes perfectly invisible. I occasionally fill nail holes with the JB Weld Waterweld putty sticks. We NEVER EVER use/allow the woodgrain side of the azek to face outward... everything is smooth/smooth.

Old 05-26-14, 10:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I like to use the Cortex fastener system with Azek. The bit drives proprietary screws in and cores the offset so their plug fits nice and snugly.

Old 05-26-14, 11:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 274 Posts
Those are nice but too expensive for me!