Does the washer go on the nut side or the bolt side?

Old 05-27-14, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does the washer go on the nut side or the bolt side?

While using carriage bolts for a deck, washer on nut side or bolt side, my money is on the nut side. Or is it better just to get two washers?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-14, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator
Nut side. Proper sized washer won't even fit against the head most times. There is a square part directly below the head.

Old 05-27-14, 11:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 344 Votes on 322 Posts
The idea of using a carriage bolt is that the square part of the bolt directly under the cap gets driven into the wood grabbing the bolt from turning.

Old 05-27-14, 02:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
New guidelines (2013) stipulate washers under the nut and a 3/4" washer on the head of the carriage bolt, to prevent the sinking of the head of the bolt into the wood. Drop down to page 10 here: http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf

Old 05-27-14, 05:43 PM
Group Moderator
If that is the case then it makes little sense to use carriage bolts as there's no way to hold the head if it spins and it will with a washer under it.

Old 05-27-14, 06:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Washers with square holes and thicker square shoulders????

Old 05-27-14, 06:29 PM
I agree, Pete, and I must edit my reference. It is on page 13. I was looking at the ticker on the side of my screen. Note "through bolts" must have washers on both nut side and bolt head side. Of course to make it happen on 1/2" bolts the head washer will need to be 3/4".

Old 05-27-14, 06:44 PM
Group Moderator
It looks like that may pertain to only the ledger board attachment.

Old 05-27-14, 06:58 PM
It also applies to post and beam attachments per page 7. Now, one aside. It says "through bolts" and makes no mention of carriage bolts, per se. My inspector likes carriage bolts and washers.

Old 05-27-14, 07:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 195 Votes on 181 Posts
it makes little sense to use carriage bolts
5 stars for that snippet.

Now that they have a specific rule on page 13 about using washers on both the head and nut of a through bolt, and on lag bolts and anchors... they just need to outlaw carriage bolts specifically. I detest carriage bolts.

They are great 9 times out of 10, but it's the one time that they spin before they get tight that gripes me.

Old 05-30-14, 04:09 PM
They are great 9 times out of 10, but it's the one time that they spin before they get tight that gripes me.
Whoops I followed the advice of the first 2 answers, no washer on the head side. Is the carriage bolt bound to sink in the wood? And lets say it does, how long before it starts becoming a problem. I am using carriage bolts for the support beams of the deck. Would be a hassle to remove and replace those! I am not a fan of them either.

Old 05-30-14, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
Well, it all depends on your code and how far in construction you are. I doubt you'll see them sink in much. More likely they will loosen some as the wood shrinks. I know the ones I used for my grape pergola needed to be tightened after the seasons changed.

I think more often than not, it's because people drill the hole too big. Carriage bolts should need to be hammered in the last few inches at least.

Old 05-30-14, 04:41 PM
Well, it all depends on your code and how far in construction you are. I doubt you'll see them sink in much. More likely they will loosen some as the wood shrinks. I know the ones I used for my grape pergola needed to be tightened after the seasons changed.
Just finished framing, decking next LOL, so almost done.

I think more often than not, it's because people drill the hole too big. Carriage bolts should need to be hammered in the last few inches at least.
I used a 1/2" drill bit with 1/2" bolts. I had to hammer them the whole way through. You'd think I used a 3/8" bit for the holes. And they were strong blows on the hammer.

Old 05-30-14, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator
The hole size sounds good.

It's not really that much effort to add the washers, an impact driver to run the nuts almost off, then tap the bolt back out, maybe a dowel or brass rod to get them all the way out if tight. Slip the washer on, drive them back in, tighten down.

Before anything, I'd call the permitting authority and ask if they require it. (You did get a permit?) If no permit required, I think I'd leave as is. Many, many decks have been built without the extra washer and I doubt any have failed only because of that. More likely undersized posts or other structural members or lack of adequate bracing.

Old 05-30-14, 06:12 PM
Before anything, I'd call the permitting authority and ask if they require it. (You did get a permit?) If no permit required, I think I'd leave as is.
No permit needed if the deck is under under 2ft in height with grade, which in my case it is.

Many, many decks have been built without the extra washer and I doubt any have failed only because of that. More likely undersized posts or other structural members or lack of adequate bracing.
Sounds good, I have the bolts in an easy-ish location to tighten as the seasons change.