Benches

Old 06-01-14, 11:55 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Benches

I am building some benches that will go into a corner. The backrest is on a 15 degree angle and I would like to put a support in the corner on the 45 degree, but I can't figure out what the angle would be. It should be like the hip rafter on a roof, but I still can't come up with an angle. Anyone got a solution?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-14, 01:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Are these benches to be placed on your deck, or inside the house? Your angle will be as you suggest, like a hip roof, with a smaller bottom and larger top.

Consider code worthiness if you are installing these on your deck. You will have to increase the height of your balustrade to 34" above the top of the bench. Not pretty, but required to keep kids from falling over the back of them.

Old 06-01-14, 05:26 PM
O
They are free standing outside benches and going against a building.

Old 06-01-14, 09:52 PM
Not sure I'm understanding the question. Are you really making 2 benches, at right angles to each other, and then connecting them with a short, corner bench oriented at 45 degrees to each of the main benches? If that's correct, then you want to cut the contact points of the backrests at 22.5 degrees each, such that when they butt up to each other, there will be a tight connection line (glued and screwed?) between them.

Old 06-02-14, 07:09 AM
O
The bench will be one piece. The backrest leans back on 15 degree angle. All cuts are 15 also except for the backrest framing, on the 45, which is going to be greater. The length of the seat support I determined by using A squared plus B squared equals C squared.

Attached Images