Existing composite deck issue

Old 06-02-14, 05:13 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Existing composite deck issue

I just purchased a 12 year old ranch home with walk out basement patio. Directly above the patio is a large composite deck. My issue is that when it rains, the patio is not protected by the deck very well, so lots of rain falls through the cracks of the decking. It appears that the previous owner tried to resolve this issue by putting some sort of foam in between the composite decking, resulting in water gushing through the weakest/ lowest part of the decking. Another potential issue is that above the composite deck, my 5-6" gutter system (with wire mesh covers) will occasionally overflow to the deck and fall to the below patio. In a nutshell, I don't like this current situation and was wondering the following questions:

1) is there a cost effective way to drain the water from my composite deck, without it falling to my below patio, and down my home foundation?

2) I'm generally looking for guidance on how if/ how to address the gutter system, composite deck/ water situation and potentially gain some water protection for by below patio area.

I am new to this site, but would appreciate your thoughts on these items and or whether I need to provide more info.

Dan

Old 06-02-14, 05:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I am not sure what "foam" the PO could have used, nor where it is used, but you don't do that. Google "under deck" systems, and you will find a plethora of water drainage systems that will redirect your water to another gutter system on the outside of the deck and away from your patio. You can also post pictures of what you have so we can see what you see, in order to help with your project.http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: