Deck Post footings/Mudsill anchor???

Old 06-03-14, 01:32 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Deck Post footings/Mudsill anchor???

I had a contractor pour some footings and anchors for me to build a deck this upcoming weekend. They installed Mudsill anchors made by Simpsons like the ones found here:

Simpson Strong-Tie ZMAX Galvanized 18-Gauge Mudsill Anchor-MAB15Z at The Home Depot

The posts are 6x6. Will these work for a vertical post? Just wanted to get thoughts.....

Thanks

Old 06-03-14, 01:48 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
They like they are are made to anchor a horizontal plate/mudsill and not for anything that is vertical. I don't think they would really good for posts if you want real stability.

Simpson does offer a number of fixtures for columns or posts. Take back what you have unless you have another use for them. I think simpsom has a wide range of connector plate to use with either 4x4 or 6x6 and some allow you to have an air gap between the wood and concrete.

Dick

Old 06-03-14, 02:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Mudsill anchors are not approved for post supports. Why would he install such knowing a deck was to be installed??? You need Simpson Strongtie ABU66 post base, which is a retrofit unit. You can cut off the mudsill anchor at concrete level and drill a 1/2" hole beside it to accept your fastener. Larger hole for lag shields, etc.

Name:  post base.gif
Views: 5480
Size:  28.1 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: