Advice on jacking porch roof (pics)

Old 06-04-14, 08:10 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice on jacking porch roof (pics)

Morning All,

This weekend I'm going to repair my front porch since one of the columns has collapsed on rotten 1"x4" T&G pine flooring.

There is nothing on the top of the roof - it's flat.

The columns are approx 1"x10" hollow. The porch is approx. 10' x 8'. The house is approx. 115 years old.

What I know I'm going to do:
1. Use a bottle jack with a 4x4 to raise the corner
2. Use 2x6 supports one on the front and side once it's jacked up for support

I have a few questions:
1. Should I jack from the ground (soil) and put the 4x4 post on a slight angle? Or remove the railing and jack from the 2x6 frame (rough-cut) frame.
2. Should I jack from the front or side of the porch?
3. Do I need to brace the other side of the porch or just the side I'm jacking once it's up.

I think it's probably sunken 1" and I'm using 5/4 T&G so it will be a bit thicker than what was there. In total I might need to bring it up 1" 1/4 to 1" 1/2.

I'm hoping to get it jacked up, repair the floor and column and lower it down all in one day. I'll take the railings off and rebuild them at leisure.
Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 1225
Size:  34.1 KBName:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  40.4 KBName:  photo 3.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  45.4 KBName:  photo 4.jpg
Views: 1103
Size:  39.1 KBName:  photo 5.jpg
Views: 975
Size:  37.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-14, 09:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Normally it's best to jack from the ground, that way you can also level the porch floor and make any repairs to the deck if needed. You'll want to place a 2x12 or piece of plywood on the ground to help disperse the load so the the post/jack won't sink when you jack it up.

I don't think it makes a lot of difference where you place the jack post as long as you are adequately carrying the load.

Old 06-04-14, 03:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
In addition, I would probably stack a couple 2x4's diagonally across the soffit as a cleat and span the soffit at a 45 from the fascia on one side to the fascia on the other side. I believe this would also take the pressure off your column and it would allow the jack to sit level on the soil (on plywood) and you could plumb the 4x4 up to that 2x4 cleat.