Floating Deck Questions

Old 06-06-14, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Floating Deck Questions

Hello,

We tore down a mother in law house we had on our lot (structural issues, leaning, etc.) and are left with a slab and patio of stone. We've gone through several ideas of what to do with it (tear it out, build something else over it, etc.) and have finally decided on something.

We'd like to build a floating deck over the entire slab and patio. The plan is to then place our new shed (10x10), a wood shed, and possibly a small greenhouse on it. It's the most cost effective and won't be as backbreaking as we're not removing it all.

I'm planning on using concrete deck blocks where we can. (I know, not preferred, but if we dig down 6", it's solid bedrock. The joys of the Texas Hill Country).

My concern is the part of the deck that will be over the slab. The rain runs off of it pretty good, but I want to avoid wood rot if it happens to accumulate at all. Can I use concrete pavers for support over the slab? Should I use some kind of vapor barrier?

This is not meant to be fancy, only functional.

Any suggestions, or things that I am missing?

Thanks!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-14, 07:16 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I would use concrete footings in sonotubes. The bedrock can be used as support for the footings. You don't have to be concerned with a frost line. That would keep the deck completely off the patio & away from the water. I see no reason to use pavers or a vapor barrier.

Old 06-08-14, 07:35 PM
Thanks!

What would provide the support between the posts? It's going to end up being 24'x20' (at it's biggest...it'll be an "L" shape). I'm going to need some kind of support over that slab, right?

Old 06-09-14, 07:03 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
The slab has nothing to do with support. The footings go through the slab. You have to chop a hole & dig until you hit bedrock. Then build on top of it. I don't know what the code for footings is in TX. Here in NY, it's 3 feet but that's because of the frost line. What goes between the posts, depends on the height of the deck. What is the planned height?

Old 06-09-14, 08:44 AM
The planned height is as low as I can get it to the ground. Probably a foot or so.

I was hoping to not have to break up the slab at all...

Old 06-09-14, 09:46 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Code no longer allows a slab, to be used as support. That's why you have to dig below it. If the deck is going to be low, you don't need any posts. Use double 2x10s, on edge, horizontally, across the top of the footings.