Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Decks, Patios, Porches, Walkways, Driveways, Stairs, Steps and Docks
Reload this Page >

Just refinished deck in June 2013... its looking weathered and beaten up again

Old 06-08-14, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I spent many hours last summer powerwashing, striping sanding and restaining my 2000 sqft deck... Spent tons of time on the prep work to make sure the outcome is good. Used Sherwin Williams deckscapes in semi-transparent... I'm definitely not using that product again. The reviews I read about it were mixed but its definitely not working for us. Certain spots are completely striped of the product and most of the deck is gray again. Here's my original post http://www.doityourself.com/forum/de...ed-help.html#b

I almost want to just rip off the whole deck and put composite on instead.

Okay, this time I am going with a solid paint. My hope is that I can do this quicker than last time.. Is it possible to just power wash, and then use a deck solid paint? Or even better, just lightly power wash and use a striper, then paint? Or do I have to power wash, sand and use a striper? What is the quickest way to prep for the deck and still allow the paint to hold well?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-14, 03:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 295 Votes on 261 Posts
Hopefully you intend to use a solid stain and not paint! Paint would require a primer and generally more prep when it's time to recoat. Solid stain should adhere fine after a good cleaning - no need to strip the existing stain assuming it's well weathered. Have you contacted SWP about your deck's finish? Even with severe sun/rain DeckScapes should have held up longer than 1 year. Let them know all the prep you did prior to applying it!

Old 06-09-14, 08:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, solid stain!

So you're saying a good powerwash and I'm good to go? No sanding or anything? Sounds good, less work.

If I used DeckScapes waterbourne semi-transparent last time, do I have to use a water based solid stain this time? Or can I use another product, perhaps oil based?

Old 06-09-14, 11:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It should be ok to use either latex or oil over top of weathered waterborne semi-transparent stain. Generally oil base stains tend to seal better while latex stains are less prone to fading.

I rarely ever do any sanding when I stain a deck. I'll clean [usually with a bleach/water solution], pressure wash, let it dry well and then apply the stain. I'll sand handrails if they need it but otherwise I'll only sand if some one previously buggered up the wood using too much pressure when they cleaned ..... and I usually charge extra to fix someone else's mistakes

Old 06-09-14, 01:36 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
". . . . and I usually charge extra to fix someone else's mistakes."

No wonder you are a rich man! Extremely lucrative "mistake market" out there.

Old 06-09-14, 01:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I probably worked too cheap to start with to get rich, that and all the wild women I used to chase before I got smart

The only good thing about going behind an idiot who botched the job is it makes you look better than you would if they had hired you to start with. It's a lot easier to do the job right from the get go!