Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Decks, Patios, Porches, Walkways, Driveways, Stairs, Steps and Docks
Reload this Page >

Buying house, deck attached to house without ledger board. How to proceed?

Old 06-08-14, 05:15 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Inspection found that the joist hangers were nailed directly into the house through the siding. No ledger board. Also says "no blocking." The seller does not want to fix, and says the house came that way when purchased and never had any problems. The house was built in the 1980s. It was last purchased in 2005. The deck looks like it's in great condition and felt sound when we walked on it. We are investigating how much it would cost for a contractor to fix it.

My question is how important is this to fix? Is it just a "code" standard now or is it a serious safety issue? I've read through some other posts here and it looks like I could have a ledger board installed or convert to a freestanding deck with posts next to the house. If I get it fixed, what is the best option?

Thanks in advance for your responsesName:  image.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  43.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-14, 05:59 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
A double 2x10 with posts at each end, on concrete footings, would solve any support worries that you may have. My question would be, why is there a diagonal 2x10 under the joists? It's not clear what it's doing.

Old 06-08-14, 09:04 PM
B
OK thanks. So you're saying I could leave it attached but add the support underneath next to the house? I'm not sure what the diagonal 2x10s are for. I'm also considering that I want the solution to pass inspection when I sell it down the road.

Old 06-09-14, 06:52 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If you don't own the house yet, check with the building dept. to see if the deck is on record with them. If not, the seller has to file for it. Don't get stuck!!! If he wants to sell the house, it's HIS responsibility. It's certainly not up to code, as it is now.