How to mount deck roof post inside house wall behind siding.

Old 06-09-14, 09:09 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to mount deck roof post inside house wall behind siding.

I assume I will need 4x6s for these posts. My plan is to use some type of post base to secure them to the sill plate.

I'm not sure how to provide them with lateral resistance. Perhaps I'll need diagonal bracing between these posts and the new headers? Thoughts anyone?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-14, 03:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Read through your post and put yourself in our shoes. We don't know what you are building. Do you have any pictures you can share, along with a description of the project?

Old 06-10-14, 08:51 AM
S
Sorry about that. It was late.

This project was described in a previous thread a few months back that you may have already read (http://www.doityourself.com/forum/de...on-please.html). The design has evolved, and I now want to mount corner posts against house inside the house wall on top of floor sill. The frame of the gable roof and where those posts will be located is depicted in the photo. Gable roof will extend 16 ft perpendicular from house over deck.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]33043[/ATTACH]\
This avoids me having to remove decking next to house to dig footing underneath. I haven't formally confirmed load for a 4X6 post, but assume it's between 4X4 and 6X6. Since the posts will have not lateral stability inside the wall and could be subject to racking, perhaps I should include diagonal bracing between each post and the header it will be supporting (perpendicular to house wall). For that matter, why is bracing not commonly seen with posts sitting on top of footers, as there's no lateral stability there either, unlike when they're submerged in concrete underground? The rafters abutting house will be lagged to wall studs, but is that sufficient lateral stability that should be depended on?

I'm grateful for any advice on this.

Attached Images  
Old 06-10-14, 03:12 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm not sure about the wisdom of cutting holes in perfectly good siding and roof structures, for the purpose of installing roof support columns. You won't be happy when rain runoff (it does occasionally rain in Alabama, yes?) penetrates the wall and roof structure. And not to mention that doing so will be a lot more work than removing some deck planks and installing proper footings for the columns, on the exterior of the house where they belong.

Old 06-10-14, 04:42 PM
S
Excellent point, BridgeMan45. I've been cringing at the thought of that. I'll seriously reconsider.

What's your opinion on diagonal bracing between posts and headers to prevent racking?

Old 06-10-14, 04:47 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Not only do the columns belong outside the siding, footings are required to meet code. There are some nice year round awnings available that would avoid all those problems & still give you the protection that you want.

Old 06-10-14, 08:19 PM
Diagonal bracing is "a must" to keep a roof support structure from flexing when subject to wind loads. The bracing should be installed in both directions, unless you plan to securely tie the new structure's roof framing into the house's roof framing. If that's the case, then diagonal bracing would only be needed parallel to the house. Unless your AHJ has other requirements.

Old 06-11-14, 07:41 AM
S
So will my rafters being lagged to house studs suffice to make perpendicular bracing unnecessary, and will that apply to distal posts on other side of deck as well?

Old 06-11-14, 09:43 AM
Check with your local AHJ. I have no idea what "distal posts" are.