Anchor a gazebo without drilling into concrete

Old 06-11-14, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Anchor a gazebo without drilling into concrete

We have a 10x12 canvas top gazebo with a steel frame. My husband refuses to drill into the newly pour concrete slab.
I was thinking we could anchor it down by using 35 pound concrete planters filled with play sand and river rock, and topping it with 3 inch think flagstone pieces. Maybe even put sand inside the bottom 1/3 of the hollow gazebo legs. This would probably bring the weigh to around 100 pounds or a little more per leg. Felt confident this would work. But … Last night it stormed and I heard the wind ripping across the house. Maybe 30 mph winds. I fear 100 pounds per leg wouldn’t be enough. Neighbor has the same one bolted down to concrete and it was fine. Cant make a mistake because if this thing breaks free it will end up in the pool tearing the new pool liner $$$$.
How much weight would be enough? Other ideas on how to weigh it down?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-14, 11:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 305 Votes on 279 Posts
The short answer is more weight is better.

---
In commercial tenting the ballast required is calculated by the manufacturer depending on the tent's wind rating, size and shape. It's not an easy one size fits all sort of answer. Generally tents are temporary structures and are not intended to be set up and survive the worst possible weather.

The good news, depending on how you look at it is that your Gazebo may not withstand stronger winds. If you anchor the frame well enough the top my shred or get ripped off before it can exert enough force to move the structure. In your situation the gazebo being slid sideways and plopped into the pool. The coefficient of friction with your concrete (texture, dry vs wet, ballast base construction) becomes a major factor. In a sliding scenario 100 lbs of ballast does not mean it will take 100 pounds to make it slide.

Old 06-11-14, 12:00 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Use the screw in dog chain anchors and some ratchet straps to connect the anchors to the framework. Probably one at each corner.

I hold down my 10 X 20 tent awning with this method.

RR

Old 07-14-14, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice! So I ended up letting him have his way. We used HEAVY concrete planters, filled with concrete and topped with river rock. Guessing around 150 pounds on each leg. It stormed the other day - Super storm winds and rain from every direction and hail... I ran out and closed the curtains on the gazebo. With the curtains closed it held. With the curtains open, I believe it would have moved.
All I got to say is, I will never leave the house and forget to zip up that gazebo. It won't be my fault if it moves.
Heres a picture.

Attached Images  
Old 07-14-14, 05:37 PM
Received 108 Votes on 99 Posts
Similar to your first suggestion, I put two large planters with sand or stone on either side of each corner. It has not moved in the severest of winds.Even in winter.