Hanging hammock from patio roof

Old 06-11-14, 12:13 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hanging hammock from patio roof

Hello...

I have hung a hammock from our patio roof. The roof top and bottom are thin sheet metal. In between is some kind of material - I really don't know what. It's not possible for me to see inside.

Here is a picture of the roof:

Name:  patio roof.jpg
Views: 6124
Size:  47.6 KB

The roof is about 3 or 4 inches thick. I think there is some space in between the layers of the inside material. And it's soft stuff - wood, drywall, I really don't know. I tried installing an eye screw into it, and it just pulled right back out.

There are no studs that we could find in this roof. There are several strips of metal that go across the underneath of the roof:

Name:  patio roof metal strip.jpg
Views: 2999
Size:  31.8 KB

So, what I have done is insert the eye screws into two of these metal strips. It's the only way I could get the eye hooks to stay:

Name:  patio roof eye hook and screws.jpg
Views: 5195
Size:  31.2 KB

I attached an S-hook to the eye screw, attached thick chain to that, attached that to another s-hook, and that S-hook to the hammock.

It feels very sturdy. But I doubt it's as sturdy as it feels; the metal is thin. I drilled in screws to help secure the metal strip, but I really think I need something more to secure

I would really like to be able to hang the hammock from this roof, if possible, so that I can use the hammock in any weather. Do you have any suggestions for what I can do to make this setup sturdier, if you think it's possible?

Thanks! If you have questions, fire away...

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-14, 12:26 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 587 Votes on 541 Posts
I assume your roof is a sheet of aluminum on the top and bottom with a layer of foam or corrugated cardboard/paper in the middle. While strong the panels are not designed for a point load like an eye bolt. It's slightly better at the aluminum splice pieces where you put your eye bolt but it's still probably only going through slightly thicker aluminum. Better would be to use a long eye bolt that can go all the way through your roof so you can put a big washer or plate on the top to spread the load. The splice strip where your current bolt is located would be the strongest location as long as you drill off center so you don't cut/drill out the center web of the strip.

Old 06-11-14, 01:33 PM
W
Thanks for the suggestion, Pilot Dane... I'd been thinking of doing something similar.

Is there something I can use to cover the washer/plate on the top of the roof, to keep it from getting rusty in the rain? Caulking, or some kind of plastic cover? Or do you think that's not a concern?

Old 06-11-14, 03:28 PM
P
Group Moderator
I'd put a big blob of caulk around the bolt after you've shoved it up through the roof. Then squish the washer and nut down into the caulk. There isn't a really proper way to do a bolt protruding through a roof so it's up to you and caulk. If you do notice some leaking you can come back and coat the nut & washer with roofing tar but I'd save that for a plan B only if you need it.

Old 06-11-14, 07:33 PM
I can't imagine the aluminum supporting the weight of a hammock. Have you tried pulling down on the chain to test for give? I don't know if there are any metal or wood rafters in the porch roof; but I'd check to see and only hook to a solidly supported rafter.

Old 06-11-14, 10:40 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
#1, A hammock can not be hung hanging from anything from above.
#2, Your going to destroy that type roof by even trying.
A hammock exerts a load from the sides. Your going to need a real hammock rack or two trees to hang it from.

Old 06-12-14, 03:58 AM
W
joecaption1 and bigfred,

I appreciate your concern. It's a sturdy roof. I've walked on it, and have hung the hammock on it and both my wife and I have used it. I feel confident that if I put a bolt through the bottom and top of the roof and anchor it above the roof, it'll be fine.

I won't continue to use it as is, because I'm not confident that having an eye screw going through just the bottom layer of metal will hold long-term.

It doesn't hang that high off the ground, and we have a cushioned surface underneath it. If the roof ever indicates that it won't hold the load, we'll stop using it and get a stand or something. I just hate to hang it outside in the elements if I don't have to; and I prefer it hanging from a roof than from a stand. Just feels more "hammocky" that way.

And yes, that is a word. I know because I just made it up.

Old 06-12-14, 05:40 AM
Glad to hear you've tested and it works. I have another idea though, in case you need it. You could lay a piece of 1x4 or 1x5 treated wood on the roof so it's unseen, drill holes thru it for the bolts, and use it to spread the load somewhat. Just an idea. Anyway, enjoy your hammock!

Old 06-12-14, 08:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
A trick I've seen on jungle boats is to use a spreader bar above the hammock. Hanging a hammock from the ceiling usually ends up making the hammock really curved unless you can get the hanging points very far apart. A piece of wood with a hole or notch in each end above the hammock will keep it spread open and flatter. With a spreader bar you can even hang a hammock from a single point if you don't mind spinning around a bit.

Old 06-12-14, 10:57 AM
W
Thanks again for all the suggestions. I know we'll at least use a metal plate on the roof, to help spread the weight and anchor it more securely.

I should add that it's a Mayan hammock, which doesn't have spreader bars and is intended to sag.

In fact, I have an action shot of me in it:

Name:  hammock.jpg
Views: 2572
Size:  38.9 KB

Old 06-12-14, 11:35 AM
P
Group Moderator
Most American hammocks use spreader bars across the width at each end of the hammock. On the Amazon some had a bar lengthwise which made the hammock flatter. They used them on their river boats I assume so they could hang their hammocks from a single point and not have the lines crossing and blocking the deck.

Old 06-12-14, 10:49 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Using roof suspension to support a hammock is probably worse than dancing with a drunken sailor. It can be done, but don't count on it being a relaxing experience. Too many forces acting in too many directions.

And I don't even dance.

Old 06-14-14, 09:25 PM
W
Follow-up

As a follow-up, wanted to let y'all know that I took several bits of advice given to me here.

I got two 1/2 x 8 in. eye bolts and put them through the top and bottom of the roof.

I put the bolts through a metal plate and a treated 2x4 on top of the roof, put a washer and nut on top, and covered them with caulk.

The only way that hammock is ever going to go anywhere is if the roof caves in - which I feel quite confident that it won't.

As my wife noted, the hammock doesn't creak when we get in it anymore. She's seaworthy, boys. Thanks for the help!

Old 06-15-14, 04:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Mow the lawn and finish your yard work then a cold beverage or two and you can try it out with an afternoon nap.

Old 06-15-14, 08:33 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm glad to hear the wife is finally seaworthy.

Old 06-15-14, 02:00 PM
W
Now that was pretty funny. :-)

Old 06-15-14, 02:04 PM
W
I would've, but the missus beat me to it! My time's coming tonight, methinks...