16 x 16 pergola (floating deck)

Old 06-13-14, 08:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
16 x 16 pergola (floating deck)

I just finished a floating 16 x 16 deck and now want to add a pergola to it. I know, poor planning.

Anyway, the pergola will not be attached to the deck rather properly cemented into the ground.

Here's my issue, I want to have a hanging bed and I plan to use 6 x 6 post. Do you think I can get away with only 4 post or should I have 8 or even 6? The pergola will be 16 x 16 as well.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-14, 08:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 192 Votes on 178 Posts
I think it's as much a question of appearance as structure. You can span 16' and depending on the construction of your pergola four posts could support it. A solid, peaked and shingled roof will be heavier and have to carry snow and wind loads while a open style shade structure could be lighter.

I don't think supporting the hanging bed is an issue except for stiffening the pergola structure. You'll potentially have several hundred pounds swinging back and forth. Four posts/columns would probably require bracing which might not be the appearance you want while going with more posts might give you enough stiffness to go without diagonal braces.

Old 06-13-14, 09:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm not wanting to add diagonal braces but I was planning on adding knee braces. Do you think that would be enough?

I could go with 7 post and leave the one side with the view open.

Old 06-13-14, 09:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Last year I built a 12 x 16 man cave in a clients yard using 6 x 6 posts. We ended up using 9 posts as one set flanked a set of french doors. The rest was almost completely glass windows and the back wall was solid t-111. I couldn't imagine building it with only 4 posts.