Tree House Layout - Is this safe?

Old 06-14-14, 07:16 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tree House Layout - Is this safe?

Thanks to anyone who can offer suggestions on this PDF plan. The whole thing will be about 7' off the ground. Guess its more of a single tree platform fort really....whoa, a 50k attachment file size limit? I'll try to post a dropbox link below

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49565211/treehouse-rough.pdf

Scott

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-14, 11:23 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 590 Votes on 544 Posts
I'm not seeing a .pdf. You can host your document somewhere else online and post the link here like you would a photograph.

Old 06-14-14, 11:47 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
JPG here: http://myphotos.mypclinuxos.com/imag...houserough.jpg
And Here is a capture of the PDF:
Name:  SC58.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  44.4 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 06-14-14 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-14-14, 12:51 PM
M
thanks ray, not sure what happened, I'm seeing the link fine in the original post

Old 06-14-14, 01:05 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I'm seeing it to but it is best to insert (not attach) a JPG or a link to one at a hosting site such as Photobucket if the width is more than 900px. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 06-14-14, 04:10 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
I'm not an engineer, but we have our pine trees and they can be sensitive to holes drilled through them. And then do snap off at times from wind.

My first thought was to not bolt to the tree, given the abundance of other supports, but to box around it to eliminate the related movement issues.

I've never considered code requirements for a tree house, but a shed over 80 or 100 sq ft can require one in some towns.

Bud

Old 06-14-14, 07:59 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Have you checked what your homeowners premium increase will be if you build the thing? Some one could get badly hurt or killed falling from greater than 7'. I'd build it on the ground, where falls are usually survivable.

Old 06-15-14, 04:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 590 Votes on 544 Posts
The original link is working for me now. Maybe the hosting site was down briefly when I tried the first time.

I would box around the tree and leave generous room for growth. Pine's grow relatively so it's expanding girth would soon cause trouble with it enveloped all the way around. Also, if you attach to the tree you have to accommodate it's movement as it sways in the wind.

Check with your county's Zoning Dept. and Building Inspections Dept. Because of it's size and construction they may consider it a deck and not a childrens tree house. You may have to meet zoning requirements and building codes.

Old 06-19-14, 08:06 PM
M
Posts - Concrete or pea gravel?

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I ended up purchasing two of these new tree house GL bolts/brackets for the huge 24" dia pine, I think it will handle the downward force well and the sliding brackets with them allows for wind movement.
Treehouse Attachment Bolts (TABs) | Attached Limb Systems
I didnt want to damage any major roots putting posts too near the tree.

Bridgeman, no I did not think about Home Owner's Ins. Thanks for that. I've lowered the height and will also get two dump trucks of the free mulch (6" layer)from a great tree service company nearby. Should help cushion falls.

I plan on following standard deck/railing code for our area. My only question is how to secure the posts in the ground. I am very worried about lateral movement and want these puppies strong in the ground with less knee/cross bracing so I have room for swings, etc, under the structure. Georgia does not really have a frost depth issue, so I was thinking 1/3 of the 6x6 below ground (gravel on bottom), and fill to grade level with concrete (mixed prior in wheelbarrow). OR some swear that concrete rots it faster, and recommend using pea gravel only, tamping it down often. This GA red clay would hold it by itself to be honest, you need a pick to get anywhere in it! Thoughts on the old post war debate? Thanks! A search on this site revels takes on all sides of this issue

Old 06-19-14, 08:30 PM
M
Interesting find...

Found this recommendation for setting posts....might be a good fit for my situation?
----------------
The rot problem occurs if the bottom of the post is inside the concrete.
There is no way for water to escape and the bottom of the post sits in damp all the time.
Real ground contact PT can take it for a while, but the typical home center PT is not treated heavily enough.

Dig hole.
Add a few inches of gravel.
Put in post.
Add another few inches of gravel.
Fill remainder of hole with concrete.
Slope top away from the post to not encourage any extra water to soak into the wood.

I usually use pea gravel since it is easy to handle and packs well.
Larger stuff does not settle in as nicely.