Pavers sinking around edge of patio

Old 06-16-14, 10:53 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pavers sinking around edge of patio

I have a patio where nearly all of the pavers around the border have dropped as much as 3 inches. The patio is constructed of 8x4 pavers with a typical gravel/sand base. The patio has a cement border (that has not dropped at all) with grass on the other side.

I suspect that watering the grass is creating a situation where the soil below the base material is saturated causing the base and pavers to sink. Any thoughts on that? My first thought to correct the problem is to remove the existing base material and dig an additional 3-4 inches into the soil and re-construct with additional gravel. Does that sound like the proper solution? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Brad

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-14, 01:36 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 590 Votes on 544 Posts
The base for the patio was not properly constructed. Paver patios are commonly done next to lawns that are irrigated and if installed properly there is no issue.

I'm guessing if you have that much settling you may have problems elsewhere in the patio. I'd be tempted to pull up al the blocks and go through the whole thing properly. It's a lot of work but it would allow you to get in with a compactor and work which will be difficult or impossible to do if you only try doing 4 or 8" at the edge. Also, working in just a narrow band at the edge you risk undermining the edging and the pavers inboard that have previously been OK.