paver patio with edge blocks question

Old 06-16-14, 01:07 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
paver patio with edge blocks question

Hi,

I am installing a paver patio with tumbled belgian paver. Since the patio will have a freeform curve, for the edges I am using an Belgian Wedge.

The wedges are 3.5" tall and I will place those directly on the compacted gravel base and build my perimeter first.

The pavers are only 2.25" tall. Which leaves me with a 1.25" height difference. I want the pavers and perimeter block to be level or the paver to be just slightly higher than the perimeter.

My question is: Do I make up the height difference with sand?

I know that with a 1" sand base after the pavers are installed and compacted you end up with a 3/4" sand base.

Also, do you think I need to add a plastic edger to around the perimeter blocks?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-14, 01:18 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 601 Votes on 555 Posts
Yes, I would use plastic edging or some other edge material to hold your edge blocks in place. I've never done what you're planning but I think you will need to have your edge blocks also resting on sand. I don't think you will be able to get them level and straight if they are sitting directly on the stone. I would probably try cutting your edge blocks so they will have the same thickness as your field pavers and not try to make up the extra 1 1/4" with a really thick layer of sand.

I've always finished the edge of a curved patio with the same blocks as the field. For gradual curves you just end up with a pie shape gap between blocks and for tighter radiuses I cut the blocs to the required taper. I don't have a close-up of the edge uploaded but this patio was edged with the same blocks as the field.

Old 06-16-14, 04:52 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
What's wrong with a wet mix around the edge? That eliminates the need for plastic. For the middle, use a dry mix of 3 sand to one Portland.

Old 06-17-14, 07:43 PM
A
The edge blocks are a wedge shape so I don't have to worry about gaps.
They are also a wall block, hence the thickness difference.
I don't want to use the same blocks for the edge as for the field.

I have seen this done before, I just want to know how it is done.

When you do a wall you don't use sand. That is why I am thinking to just place the blocks on the compacted gravel.

Old 06-18-14, 09:47 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 601 Votes on 555 Posts
Compacted gravel rarely comes out perfectly smooth which is one reason sand is used. It can be screeded out to form a very uniform surface.