Porch railing height?

Old 06-16-14, 06:11 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Porch railing height?

I have a contractor putting in new railings and my wife thinks it's wrong.

Are the hand rails going down the steps suppose to match the same height as the rails on the porch?

The contractor is telling me that it's within code and is suppose to be waist high all the way down, but we measured the hand rails on each side and they are off by 1" or 1 1/2".

I have attached a picture for reference.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-14, 06:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
The handrails should be about 34" measured vertically at the nose of a particular step.

Old 06-17-14, 05:45 AM
M
Thank for the reply. The contractor came back out and said that he measures the top of the hand rail and then at the bottom. Both were 36" in height.

My wife argued that the measurements in between should also be 36" on each step.

I somehow think the contractor is right.

Old 06-17-14, 06:24 AM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
A phone call to your local building department will confirm, but 34"-38" is fairly common. As Chandler said, this is measured vertically at the nose of the step. Measuring farther back on the step will provide varying results, as will holding the tape measure anything other than vertical. If this measurement is the same at the top and bottom, yes, it should be the same at each step, BUT if this is not the case, the problem is most likely that the rise and/or tread measurements of the steps is not consistent as it should be.

Old 06-17-14, 06:32 AM
M
Exactly what I was thinking. She is concerned because the measurements of the steps in between the top/bottom railings are slightly off 36".

But the top/bottom railings match exactly, so to me the rest should not be an issue.

Old 06-17-14, 02:11 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
If the top and bottom are identical, the middle can only be what it is - determined by how the steps were built. Some women [my wife included] have a hard time comprehending construction