Deck ledger in MA

Old 06-18-14, 01:45 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck ledger in MA

I am getting ready to reside an exterior wall that I plan to hang a deck off if in a year or so.

I would like to install the ledger and flashing now.

I was told the deck surface had to be 4" below the door sill. Is that true?

Also, the house is sheathed in plywood and tyvek. Do I need to flash the wall with flat flashing? I would then install the ledger and ledger flashing.

My town has a deck handbook but it did not mention either.
It would have to meet MA code.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-14, 02:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
What type siding do you have? You can install the ledger now and side around it after you install flashing. The flashing will start up the wall and bend, extending past the edge of the ledger, ideally under your WRB. Look at section 10 and 11 of this for a description. Good reading for decks. http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf

Old 06-18-14, 02:57 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That's the same file my town has posted. Figure 14 shows the flashing over the ledger but nothing behind it. Is that how it should be?

The picture shows the deck height as the sane as the floor. Wouldn't that cause water issues under patio doors?

Old 06-18-14, 03:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
The flashing goes over the ledger and up the wall. No need to flash behind something that would not see water anyway. Your flashing should redirect water out past the first board as in Fig 14. I think in states such as yours where you have substantial snowfall, a lower deck is required to keep snow from melting inside your house. Here in the South we can get by with higher decks versus thresholds, usually close to threshold height.

Old 06-18-14, 09:36 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
And if you plan to live there forever, and never, ever want to replace the ledger, install it with an air gap between its inside face and the house wall. Even though not shown in DCA 6, recycled plastic 1x spacer blocks work well in preventing ledger rot, as they are inert and not subject to moisture damage from seasonal condensation taking place under the flashing.