Need help with ideas on my Patio

Old 06-21-14, 07:56 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help with ideas on my Patio

Hello all first time poster and just joined and I did some searching but was also not successful with what I'm looking for.

Here's my situation I'm in a town-home with a rear patio that separates from the garage to the house in Central Florida. The patio is great as in space wise but I'm tired and tired of the weeds growing through our current setup. Please see attached photo.

Name:  IMG_20140621_104058.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  36.1 KB

We have permission from our LandLord to do as we please and would like to replace the rocks with something else and my wife and I are lost idea-wise. In the back left corner we have majority of our plants in pots and we would like to continue planting in pots and not in the ground. We were thinking of laying down brick or maybe something else as we are not sure and hoping to get some ideas from you all.

I plan on removing the rocks in the next couple of days and to remove all the weeds. Is there something I can laydown or use to help prevent the weeds growing or limit the amount? I've tired a few weed-be-gone sprays but as you can see in a week or so they are back.

Any help is appreciated and if there's a thread on this already please direct me to it.

Thank you in advance and wishing you all a great weekend.

Chad

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-14, 08:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 297 Votes on 263 Posts
Welcome to the forums Chad!

I used to live in central fla Using rock or mulch is ok but it should have landscape fabric under it. The fabric allows water to go thru but makes it hard for vegetation to poke thru it. The cheapest fix would be to remove the rock, pull the weeds, maybe spray some weed killer, lay down the fabric and then put the rock back. I often put newsprint down under mulch but it's a short term fix.

Old 06-21-14, 06:03 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would reuse the rocks. For example, remove the rocks & the weeds, dig down about 6 inches & put the rocks back. Then make a dry mix, 3 sand to 1 Portland & put that over the rocks. Then lay the brick. If you don't want to lay brick, remove the rocks & the weeds. Lay landscaping cloth & the rocks over the cloth. That should stop the weeds.