Drainage in Driveway

Old 06-22-14, 11:18 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drainage in Driveway

Most of my driveway is unpaved and slopes down slightly toward the paved portion, which also slopes down. So there's a low point where water collects, and of course it's a clay bed so after a rain there's a pool of water that takes several days to dissipate. When the rain is heavy or after a quick snow melt, the pool can extend so far as to seep into my garage, so I need to figure out a way to alleviate this problem and prevent the pooling.

My initial thought was a French drain of some sort that would carry the water far enough out into the lawn to the point where the ground begins to slope away from the house.

Any suggestions or other ideas? This is one of my summer projects.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1192
Size:  45.9 KB

Views: 715
Size:  28.3 KB

Views: 633
Size:  48.6 KB

Old 06-22-14, 03:51 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 783 Votes on 720 Posts
It looks close but simply filling in the depression might be enough to get the water flowing out into the yard without having to resort to anything more fancy. If it doesn't then a shallow V cut into the lawn should give the water somewhere to go on the surface.

Old 04-20-15, 08:32 PM
S
Thanks. That's one possible solution, though I'm not certain if it will work. I've tried raising that area a bit and everything just gets washed away. The ground in that portion of the driveway is really hard. To be honest, I'm considering just digging out that entire section and replacing it with crushed rock, than putting in a sloped drain to run the water into the lower part of the yard.

I didn't get to the project last fall, so I'll be tackling it (and others) this spring or summer.

Old 04-21-15, 05:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Watch that area during/after rainfall. Look to see how/where the water travels. That way you'll know how the water travels and where to best redirect it. Once you redirect the water the gravel you use to fill in the low spot should stay put.

Old 04-21-15, 05:45 AM
W
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
Cause

I would want to know why that spot is low. Could it be the top of a dry well receiving water from the foundation drains?

Old 04-21-15, 08:15 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Is it an optical illusion or is there an elongated depression in the lawn that parallels the line of evergreens back there . . . . a depression that may have been intended for surface drainage ?

Old 05-04-15, 08:47 PM
S
I believe that is just an optical illusion.

Old 05-04-15, 08:51 PM
S
Honestly, I think the spot is low because once the pavement ends, the rest of the driveway slopes up as you leave my property. The soil in that depression is clay (the type that turns to gumbo when inundated with water). The water runs into that depression from both directions of the driveway, and the soil won't drain so the water pools up. At its worst, it will almost make it to my garage door.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: