Advice on rebuilding an enclosed lean to porch addition

Old 07-01-14, 06:21 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice on rebuilding an enclosed lean to porch addition

First time poster, relatively new DIYer.

Living in St. John's, Newfoundland Canada where I understand the frost depth is approximately 4'. Our house is approximately 70 years old and one of the previous owners had built an enclosed porch addition with a lean-to roof off of the back of the house some years ago, measuring approximately 80" x 80". The floor, built with 2x4 spruce, was essentially built right on top of ground and has almost completely rotted away. I've demo'd 90% of the porch, but have left the roof intact because it sits just below a brand new deck that I rebuilt 2 years ago and am not interested in rebuilding again! We had a new torched on roof done just before the deck rebuild. The roof structure appears to be in good shape, no rot, no sign of water damage. The wall to which the porch joins is a concrete foundation wall.

My plan is to replace the porch, but this time to use concrete footers/pillars to support the corners and to rebuild with 2x6; which leads me to my first few questions

1. Can I fasten a ledger board to the concrete foundation wall and just place 2 concrete pillars on the outside corners or should I poor concrete in all 4 corners? I do not know the thickness of the concrete wall, nor would I be able to bolt through so I would have to use some form of compression fastener.

2. If 4 pillars are recommended, how close to the foundation wall can I dig?

Below are some pics of the porch as it stands now.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-14, 06:38 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would use 4 posts w/ 4 footings & forget about the ledger board. You can dig as close as you want to the foundation but give yourself some space to work.