What should my back door stoop or steps land on?

Old 07-02-14, 12:32 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What should my back door stoop or steps land on?

I have a set of double doors on the back of the house and I've had a rather junky looking stoop with no handrails back there for a few years and I'm going to be selling the house soon, so I'll need to have something better back there. I'm going to build a nice set of 3 steps coming off of the back door, they'll come right up to the sidewalk in the picture, but as if right now, they'd be landing on the dirt, which I'd certainly assume is not what we want to have!

So to do this right, what should I have as a base for the stairs to land on where it is just dirt now? Do I have to go as far as digging some post holes like for building a regular deck or can I just sink some pavers or other stone into the ground and have them land on that or is there something else I should be doing here? FYI, on the top end of the stairs, it will be anchored by anchoring a piece of treated lumber into the block wall, probably with expansion anchors and some adhesive, like a PL200, so I think it should be well anchored on that end.

So, I'm wondering what I should have under the landing of these stairs?

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-14, 02:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
The pictures you postes show a cracked slab of concrete. Do you have any pictures (not close ups) of the stoop in relation tomthe landing area?

Old 07-02-14, 05:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
More pictures would be great.

But you say they will be landing on dirt? What I would do then is buy a short piece of sonotube (a cardboard concrete form sold in stores in small 4' sections.) Cut it into two or 3 pieces, depending on how many stringers you are going to have. Dig a hole for the form so that the top of the form is a couple inches above grade. Then pour cement into those forms... one form for each stringer. Later, when you go to place the stringers on the piers, you can drill into the cement and use a mechanical wedge anchor to hold a tie down bracket, such as a Simpson HD2A.

Old 07-02-14, 11:54 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sorry wrong pics!!!

Oh crap! I posted the pics for another post I just put up as well, about some garage floor cracks. (as you can see in those pics!) Here are the correct pics for this one below and again, my plan would be to have the steps come right up to the edge of the concrete sidewalk, in fact I think the edge of the bottom tread would be very slightly over the sidewalk by less than a 1/4".

Also, the sonotubes are a great idea, I'm real familiar with them. That's probably what I'll do, unless anyone else has a better idea. Here are those new pics!

UPDATE-now that I look at these pics as far as how they look posted here, I think the scale looks a bit off. On here, it looks to me like any steps would end up being well over the sidewalk due to the run always being wider than the rise for steps, but it is not the case in real life. From my calculations, I could have it just up to the edge of the sidewalk and meet code.

Attached Images