Laminated glass for deck without top rail

Old 07-03-14, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Laminated glass for deck without top rail

Hello All,

I'm looking to replace my wood balusters on a 2nd story deck with glass, and would like to avoid a top rail as it obscures the view. I read that laminated glass without a top rail was acceptable as far as IBC goes, but what I can't find any information on is what thickness is needed. It seems the only thing available is 1/4 laminate from the local glass shop, which would be 1/8 laminated to 1/8. Do you think this will be sufficient?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-14, 11:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
Probably need to check with the AHJ on this one.

Also, I've heard you want some gray or bronze in the glass or birds tend to fly into it a lot.

Old 07-03-14, 12:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 267 Votes on 242 Posts
The glass railings I've seen have been much thicker than 1/4" though a quick search of the Internet turns up that 1/4" is the thinnest approved under IBC. Even though 1/4" is mentioned as the minimum thickness the code seems to be based more on a strength calculation and not a simple "use glass 1/2" thick". You may have to look at suppliers of commercial glass railings and give them you dimensions and application so they can calculate what you need.

Old 07-05-14, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the info. The suppliers I've called so far have been less than helpful when I asked about using this in my particular application. I'll have to keep inquiring. It seems like the local glass companies do not make the laminate themselves, but rather buy large sheets and cut to size.

Old 07-05-14, 04:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 267 Votes on 242 Posts
I think you are going to be looking at tempered glass which cannot be cut. It needs to be cut to size then tempered. More expensive but much stronger.

I think what you are trying to do is relatively uncommon in residential construction in the mid-Atlantic. Luckily it's commonly done in commercial construction so I think you just need to shift the focus of your search. Unfortunately I recommend pouring a "beverage" before reading any quotes. Since it's not in the mainstream it's priced accordingly.

Old 07-07-14, 06:01 AM
Actually, the tempered glass is cheaper than laminate. I priced it out for 1/4" (of course, may need to go thicker) but for tempered it's about $400 and for laminate it's about $650 (for about 16' of railing - I'm only hoping to do this on the side with the view). Don't know if I can get tempered and then laminated. The local company does the tempering themselves, not sure if they also make laminate or just buy large sheets and cut (as you say, it would not also be tempered in this case).

I'm starting to think I should just leave the top rail in place and install 1/2" tempered.