Powerwashed deck, wood boards now crowning?

Old 07-04-14, 06:27 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Powerwashed deck, wood boards now crowning?

Hello all:

I powerwashed my deck a few weeks ago and wanted to reseal. Few thing happened and I never got around to it.

Today I went outside (it rained yesterday) and the boards on maybe half the deck seem to be crowning width (not length) wise. Basically, they feel thin where they run along another board and fat in the middle.

It is not supposed to rain for the next 5 days here. I was thinking of sanding and resealing them on Sunday or Monday.

Is that enough time for them to dry out and hopefully settle back down? Is this a common issue (soaking up the water and feeling rounded underfoot)?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-14, 04:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
How much pressure did you use, how close was the tip to the wood? Generally it's best to do the majority of the cleaning with chemicals and just use the PWer for rinsing. Overly aggressive PWing tends to chew up the wood and will cause it to take longer to dry out. How long it takes to dry out depends on both how wet it got and the environment it's exposed to, sunny and breezing conditions will dry quicker than damp/shady.

Are you sure the boards weren't cupped in the middle prior to cleaning? Sometimes you don't notice things until it's brought to your attention. Normally, there isn't a need to sand prior to applying the deck stain but overly aggressive PWing may necessitate the need for sanding. If the wood is dry enough to sand, it should be dry enough for stain.