#1 or #2 grade for deck planks?

Old 07-09-14, 05:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
#1 or #2 grade for deck planks?

I'm having to replace my deck floor, but I'm finding a $500 difference between using standard grade decking vs premium. Other than appearance, is std just as durable, or should I bite the bullet and go for premium?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-14, 05:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 197 Votes on 182 Posts
You did not say what material the planks are. If you are talking about pressure treated wood appearance would be the biggest difference. I would also check the level of preservative treatment the two grades receive. If one receives more than the other it should last longer.

Old 07-09-14, 07:04 AM
yes I'm using pressure treated. Thanks for the info, I'll see if I can find out any difference in the pressure treatment.

Old 07-09-14, 09:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 197 Votes on 182 Posts
Here in NC different treatment levels are more common the closer you get to the coast. In TN you'll probably find all the deck boards treated to the same level but it doesn't hurt to check. Also note that inland most deck boards and 2x lumber are only rated for above ground use. Higher treatment levels can be special ordered through most lumber yards if they don't stock it.

Old 07-09-14, 10:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Locally, you either have to special order or shop specific lumber yards to find the PT wood that is treated for ground contact. Other than that, the only differences I'm aware of is the better grade of PT wood will have less knots, maybe less cracks.

Old 07-09-14, 05:56 PM
Contractor sales person at HD said that the 'premium' has either more or better quality treatment against rot, etc. I'd love to verify that before spending the extra $$.

Old 07-10-14, 04:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
I have little faith in what the help at a typical big box store says. Normally they are poorly informed and are only repeating what someone told them. I always thought that the PT process was the same for all wood BUT I don't have any specific knowledge on how their PT wood is treated.

Old 07-10-14, 04:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
#1 PT 5/4" deck boards are clear of knot holes and major defects. #2 grade is what the box stores carry as their normal inventory. It is full of knot holes and other imperfections. If you want to get a good look at #1 vs #2, go to a lumber yard where you can see them first hand - Side by side. There should be no difference in longevity of either deck board. It is the prettier deck boards that you are paying for. Lumber yards also usually carry 16' lengths or possibly greater if needed so you can have fewer seams to your deck surface. Standard lengths at box stores seem to be 12'.