Porch post/column base trim detail

Old 07-09-14, 03:13 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Porch post/column base trim detail

Hello,

The trim at the bottom of my front porch post has rotted and needs to be replaced. It looks as in the attached picture.
The four 10 inch tall trim boards at the bottom meet at 45 deg bevel rip cuts.
Would it be possible to make these cuts and get a nice finished look with just a circular saw?

Simple butt joints would be easier but would it look out of place?

I was also debating whether I should use PVC to prevent rot due to the bottom end-grain soaking up water. One issue with this would be concern about attaching the bottom rail to this PVC trim. I guess if the fasteners went fully through the PVC to the wood trim beneath (or further to the PT 4x4 post at the core) perhaps it would be strong enough.

Thanks,
John

Attached Images  
Old 07-09-14, 03:42 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
You're painting this so I don't think the joint is all that important as you can cover quite a bit with paint you can't with stain.

That said, if you do the mitered corners, I know I wouldn't be able to do them well enough with a circular saw.

PT wood with the cut ends sealed will help this last.

Old 07-09-14, 03:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 787 Votes on 725 Posts
It all depends on your skill. You definitely want to miter the corners. If you have a nice sharp saw and a steady hand, along with an extra large speed square to use as a guide for your skilsaw cuts, that would help. (clamp the speed square to the board so that your cut is straight and square) This is normally the sort of thing you'd probably want to use either a sliding miter saw or a table saw for.

PVC would work well, but you would want to glue and pin all your corners together. Duofast Trimbonder is an epoxy that I often use for this sort of thing because it will act as both a glue and a filler on those miters. Once it's dry you can sand the corners, and then ease the corners over with a bit of sandpaper.

Don't use PVC if you intend to paint it a medium to dark color.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: